How I Met My Best Friend 2 Years After Meeting My Best Friend

I finally met my internet best friend.

675
Ashley Elliott

Twitter. Instagram. Facebook. Tumblr.

What do all of these have in common you ask? They all offer a platform to communicate with people all around the world at any given moment with simply one comment or post. In fact, some of the best relationships you will ever come across will be because of meeting someone on social media that shares the same passions you have. Whether it be a musical group, an author, book series or way of life, you are always a click away from the one person who relates to you the most. Trust me, I know first hand.

Almost exactly 2 years ago I came across one of the sweetest, most genuine people in the world who shared a common love for all things Harry Styles with me on Twitter. Yes that's right, we met over One Direction. SUE US PEOPLE.

From exchanging tweets to exchanging phone numbers, we built a friend ship over the internet while being 2,835 miles away from each other. We went from casually talking about our never ending love for all things One Direction to being the constant source of support for all things life, love, and heartache. Never in a million years did I think I would find my absolute best friend in the world in such an unconventional way.

Now, 2 years after meeting my best friend, I FINALLY got to actually meet my best friend. I traveled almost 3 thousand miles, from North Carolina to California, and finally got to hug my best friend after 2 YEARS. We didn't have to text or tweet or FaceTime or snapchat anymore but finally got to be together and it was like we have been friends our whole lives. We did everything best friends do; drink, eat, laugh, sing loud, watch our favorite movie, spend the day in the city and of course take selfies.

Though social media can be seen in a negative light at times, it does amazing things for many people. There is no other feeling than getting to meet someone in real life that you have spent everyday talking to, knows your deepest secrets and shares all your likes/dislikes after relying on social media to be your source of communication. Twitter gave me my best friend.

Social media changed my life. What about you?