14 Times Meredith Grey Had The Best Advice

Meredith Grey is a strong, loving surgeon and mother. It's why we love her and her advice so much!

6575
Tumblr

Meredith Grey.

She's dark. And twisty.

Isn't that why we can all relate to her so well? Her blunt truths about life that we rarely like to admit to ourselves make her a charismatic character. She experiences an ever-constant battle between her head and her heart. Despite the many ongoing traumas in her life, she remains headstrong and heart-strong.

From intern to attending, Grey continues to give direction with her inspiring quotes:

1. "It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you."

Because in the blink of an eye, life can change course, and who knows who will be standing next to you, or who you lose.

2. "At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That's how we're made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them."

You only live once, stop being so scared of taking action. Wouldn't you rather regret what you did than regret not doing something?

3. "Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we're wired that way. Because without it, I don't know; maybe we just wouldn't feel real. What's that saying? Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop."

Ever heard the saying "you can't be happy without sadness?" That's exactly what Mer is trying to say. The dark, evil times make the joyful, good ones feel so much better.

4. "OK, here it is, your choice... it's simple, her or me, and I'm sure she is really great. But Derek, I love you, in a really, really big pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you, love you. Pick me, choose me, love me."

Everyone loves a good romance, am I right? Derek and Meredith are by far one of the best love story.

5. "Cause you never think that the last time is the last time. You think there will be more. You think you have forever, but you don't"

Capture each moment while you can. Don't take for granted the people in your life by not living each day with them to the fullest. That simple kiss you give you significant other in the morning—treasure that, because as Mer says, you never really know when will be the last time.

6. "It's the way people try not to change that's unnatural. The way we cling to what things were instead of letting things be what they are. The way we cling to old memories instead of forming new ones. Change is constant. How we experience change that's up to us. It can feel like a second chance at life. Like at any moment, we can be born all over again."

Change is inevitable. Though it might not seem like it, maybe it is what's best for us.

7. "Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We’re supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family, happy to just be alive… whether we like it or not. Maybe we’re not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude… has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human. Maybe we’re thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we’re thankful for the things we’ll never know. At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing… is reason enough to celebrate."

Stop looking for the bigger and better in life. Take a moment to look around you and appreciate everything that you have in your life that makes you happy. Everything that you don't have only bring you greed and sadness. So, as Meredith says, have gratitude for what you do have.

8. "We all think we’re going to be great. And we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren’t met. But, sometimes, our expectations sell us short. Sometimes, the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected. You gotta wonder why we cling to our expectations. Because the expected is just what keeps us steady… standing… still. The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected… is what changes our lives."

Don't you just love surprises? Well, when you're expecting something, it no longer becomes a surprise. Expectations that linger unmet only create disappointment. Quite expecting so much and let yourself become surprised

9. "Change… We don’t like it, we fear it. But we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change, or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t, is lying. But here’s the truth: Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes, change is good. Sometimes, change is… everything."

Once again, change could end up being better than staying constant.

10. "We spend our whole lives worrying about the future, planning for the future, trying to predict the future. As if figuring it out will somehow cushion the blow. But the future is always changing. The future is the home of of our deepest fears, and our wildest hopes. But one thing is certain: When it finally reveals itself, the future is never the way we imagined it."

Like she said before, having expectations they might be met or they could fall short. If you stop thinking so much about the future and worrying about what could happen, everything will work out one way or another. You can't spend so much time thinking about what might happen because no one can picture the future, just sit back and enjoy the ride of life.

11. "Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curveball. So we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to the things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way. Sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong."

To reiterate, sit back and enjoy the ride.

12. "All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all of that is what keeps us moving forward, it’s what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up, before we can step up."

The pain, failures only make the good parts of life better. Just push through the tough times and soon a rainbow will prevail.

13. "Failure is inevitable, unavoidable but failure should never get the last word. You have to hold on to what you want. You have to not take no for an answer and take what’s coming to you. Never give in, never give up. Stand up. Stand up and take it."

Try, try again. Failure only means that you are one step closer to succeeding. You now know one more way not to be successful

14. "We're friends, real friends. And that means, no matter how long it takes, when you finally do decide to look back, I'll still be here."

Always have your friends back, even when they might say they do not need it, it helps to be right behind them.

It is up to season 12, and like many of you, I, too, am still an avid "Grey's Anatomy" viewer because what is life without Meredith Grey's inspiring advice?