Mental Health Counseling

Mental Health Counseling

Intro

10
Mental Health Counseling

Having a good mental health is important for your well-being. While it's difficult to determine when you're experiencing a mental health issue, understanding the different symptoms are helpful.

Mental Health Counseling

52 Million Americans have experienced a mental health-related symptom in the last year, but only about half of them have received help from a qualified counselor. Experts suggest that increased levels of isolation and anxiety prevent those experiencing mental health symptoms from accessing the help and benefits they need.

You are not alone! It is not uncommon to feel overwhelmed or stressed at some point in our lives, nor is it uncommon to reach out for help. Many of us can feel like we are not coping well, or that it’s getting harder and harder to keep up. This is where mental health counseling can help. Mental health counseling in buffalo ny provides confidential and safe spaces for people to talk about their feelings and experiences and get the qualified help they need.

What does a mental health counselor do?

A mental health counselor is a professional who helps people deal with mental or emotional health-related symptoms.

A decline in mental health may present in symptoms such as,

• Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Substance abuse
  • Sexual dysfunction
  • Eating disorders
  • Personality disorders
  • Dementia
  • Adjustment disorders brought on by a major life change, such as divorce or a new baby

A mental health counselor will provide counseling, therapy, and support either online or in-person to help people manage their mental health. Mental health counselors work with individuals, families, or groups.

How do you know when to reach out for mental health counseling?

Those experiencing increased, recurring, or persistent levels of stress or anxiety, depression or hopelessness will benefit from initial assessments from a qualified mental health counselor. Counseling is recommended for anyone experiencing any of the following symptoms for 2 weeks or longer.

• Difficulty sleeping, persistent nightmares
  • Appetite and weight fluctuations
  • Struggling to focus, short attention span, mental fog
  • Inability to carry on with daily routines
  • Losing interest in hobbies or activities
  • Thoughts about Suicide or self-harm
  • Overwhelming grief and sadness

If you are experiencing persistent suicidal or self-harm thoughts or ideas call 716-710-5172 or visit https://www.shswny.org/emergency-help where a qualified counselor is waiting to help.

Many people feel that just taking the first step by connecting with a qualified counselor (https://www.shswny.org/services/mental-health-counseling) helps relieve their symptoms.

Consider completing this self-assessment questionnaire (http:goandfindquestionnairehere.com/now) to determine if a mental health counselor would help you or someone you love or care for. Studies show that the average person waits 11 years before reaching out for the help they need. This initial assessment will help people before the symptoms reach the point that they affect their relationships, jobs, and lifestyles. Studies have proven that sooner is better than later when it comes to mental and emotional symptoms.

Why see a mental health counselor versus a Psychiatrist?

Mental health counselors and psychiatrists both provide counseling and mental health services. There are, however, some key differences between the two types of providers.

Mental health counselors typically have a master’s degree in counseling, while psychiatrists are medical doctors who have completed medical school and a residency. As a result, psychiatrists are able to prescribe medication, while counselors cannot.

Mental health counselors also tend to focus on talk therapy and helping patients develop coping and problem-solving skills, while psychiatrists may also use medication to treat mental illness.

So, when deciding whether to see a mental health counselor or psychiatrist, it’s important to consider your needs and preferences. If you feel you would benefit from medication to treat your mental illness, then a psychiatrist may be the best option for you. If you prefer talk therapy or want to focus on developing lifestyle and coping skills, then a mental health counselor may be a better fit.

Those choosing to begin their mental health wellness journey should start with a mental health counselor assessment of the symptoms, severity, and manageability and help develop a plan to address and treat any disorders. A critical part of that assessment is defining a team to support your specific needs.

What to expect during a mental health counseling session?

When you go to a mental health counseling session, you can expect to talk one-on-one about the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that are causing your distress. The mental health counselor will help you to understand your thoughts and feelings and will work with you to develop the perspectives and appropriate coping mechanisms to help manage and alleviate your symptoms.

Depending on the severity of the symptoms, it is most common to schedule sessions once a week. Bi-weekly sessions can help with certain conditions.

It is normal for counselors to ask lots of questions to become familiar with the client’s history, lifestyle, relationships, and behaviors in order to fully understand all the factors creating the challenges. Mental health counselors use this information to help develop thorough strategies that address all the contributing areas.

How much does it cost to see a mental health counselor?

The cost of mental health counseling can vary depending on the type of service you receive and the provider you see. In general, mental health counseling services range from $50-$200 per session. Some providers may offer sliding scale fees based on income, and many insurance plans may cover the cost of mental health counseling services.

Most counseling services are happy to discuss their fees and help with any insurance company interaction that is required. It is typical that these discussions are part of the initial assessment process.

Many counseling services offer a sliding payment scale. This means they determine session costs based on what fits into a client’s budget. Through the federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act

https://www.hhs.gov/programs/health-insurance/mental-health-substance-use-insurance-help/index.html,

most insurance plans are now mandated to cover mental health services similar to how they cover medical services.

How to Find a Mental Health counselor?

You can ask your primary care physician for a referral, look for counselors in your area who specialize in mental health, or search online for counselors who work with patients remotely.

This link will help you find a mental health counselor in your area: mental health counselor

When you are looking for a mental health counselor, it is important to find someone who you feel comfortable talking to and who has experience treating patients with similar issues to yours.

You may also want to ask friends or family members for recommendations.

Conclusion

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental or emotional health symptoms, know that there is help available. Mental health counseling can provide the support and guidance needed to manage mental and emotional health issues and improve your overall well-being.

Beginning or continuing your personal mental and emotional health journey is easier than you’d think, you’ll find each counselor to be kind and accepting no matter what symptom you are experiencing. You can count on them to have a strategy that will help get you to the life you’ll love to be living.

If you are considering seeking counseling, reach out to a mental health professional https://www.shswny.org/appointment today to learn more about how they can help.