Mental Health Is Finally Getting Talked About Like It Should Have Been Years Ago

Thank you for shining a light on it, Shane Dawson.

17

Lately, with the Shane Dawson/Jake Paul videos, I have been seeing way more people talking about mental health.

I can't even begin to explain how happy this makes me.

I feel like so many people have some form or another of a mental illness, and it is finally being accepted.

People are becoming more educated on them, and though some are self-diagnosing (which shouldn't be done, go see a professional if you believe you have one, and they will be able to diagnose and treat it if necessary).

Just going on twitter and seeing people talking about depression and not just what some people call 'depression' when someone is just sad.

Like actual depression and seeing that other people struggle with the same thing, and how getting up and doing simple tasks are difficult, knowing that you are not alone.

And it's not like 'oh you're never alone', because the people that say that usually have no idea what you're going through, but these people online do, because they're talking about it.

It's just amazing getting to see people discuss it, and that's one of the best things about technology and social media. I can relate to someone halfway across the country, and talk to them about it.

Unlike in the olden days where they did insane things to get rid of mental illnesses and/or pretended like nothing was wrong. I feel more, dare I say, normal by being able to talk about mental illness and how so many people have them.

People used to be scared of someone if they were labeled with a mental illness, but now people are realizing that they are not scary because so many people have them, even if they are not diagnosed.