Dealing with Depression in the Summer

Surviving The Summer Is A Lot Harder Than It Looks

Here are some tips for maintaining your overall health and comfort during the Summer months, without ignoring your illness.

9

When the air turns warm and the sky remains a nearly perpetual blue, it is oftentimes easy to forget; or rather to try and forget, that depression (excluding seasonal strains) does not simply disappear when confronted with sunlight and less homework. So when symptoms of depression persist, even as those around you are celebrating the freedom and warm weather, it can be even easier to feel excluded, forgotten, or broken when seen in direct contrast to others happiness. Ironically it is that denial which can worsen the state of one's mental health. Because instead of remaining aware and dealing with the illness as you might usually have done otherwise, many people try to repress their emotions or pretend to be happy, instead of coming to terms with their circumstances and taking the necessary measures of dealing with their illness. Hoping that by not admitting that there is a problem, it will go away and they'll be fixed. "Normal".

Or at least, that is what I've experienced. Every year, once school ends I expect for my depression and anxiety to just magically go away, not necessarily because of what time of year it is, but because of how the summer holidays seem to affect those around me. How much joy it gives them. Instead, I am left still questioning how to most enjoy my summer with depression, not necessarily despite it. I've learned that I cannot allow myself to overlook symptoms of depression or other mental health issues, but to instead make conscious efforts to relieve myself of the stress and emotional "lag" which accompanies the more detrimental aspects of the disease.

These are some ideas that may help you remain more emotionally and mentally stable, and remind you of how okay life can be, even alongside mental illnesses.

Take the time to do things you enjoy, that maybe during the rest of the year you hadn't had the time, or the initiative and motivation to indulge in. Little or big, if it brings you even the smallest amount of relief or happiness, then maybe give it a try.

Read your favorite book. Whether you're in school or employed in a demanding job (or both), many people don't have the time or energy to read, (much less when adding depression into the mix).

The same goes for movies and music. Take the time to watch or listen to what you love, or even try something new. However, in general, it can be best to stay away from specific genres or topics that may be triggering.

If you have creative outlets try and take the time for whatever that entails: writing, music, crocheting/knitting, drawing, painting, ceramics- what have you. If you haven't had any experience with any of the arts, perhaps think about trying out something that interests you, regardless of whether you think you'd be "good at it". Instead, try to focus on whether it's helping you in some way. Alternatively, if you seemed to have lost inspiration for what you enjoy, allow yourself to take a break from whatever it is. Especially if you have been feeling pressured to constantly "produce" something.

If you go to therapy regularly, then keep going. Don't allow the illusion of "summer means happy", to make you think that you don't need or deserve help. If you haven't sought professional treatment, perhaps consider it if your symptoms worsen or persist. If you don't feel comfortable talking to a stranger, then it can be helpful to confide to friends, family, or even online counseling for a less public option. Whatever is the most comfortable for you.

When the illness is of the mind, people tend to forget that the body's condition can affect how we feel. Remember to eat healthily and drink water, whenever possible. During the winter, hot tea or foods, in general, can be comforting; but for the summer maybe try drinks you have good memories/connotations with, like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or lemonade. Showers or baths are worth it, but on days when you absolutely can't stand to do so, even something as small as brushing your teeth or washing your hands can help. Sometimes finding scented or pop culture-themed products can make personal care actions less of an endeavor.

Exercise gives you endorphins and can be an outlet for any negative feelings you have. Hugs and other forms of affection can help relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. Yet such physical contact can also be detrimental for some. If so, there are other forms of physical contact which could be helpful, such as pets, pillows, and blankets. While scented candles, plants, plushes, and nightlights (we don't judge) are household additions that might otherwise bring you comfort.

Sleep is also important for maintaining mental and physical health. While it is best not to be taken in excess, naps should not be viewed as a point of weakness either. Instead, try and see them as a time to recharge and relax. If sleeping does not come easily, perhaps try soothing activities like reading, or meditations and music specific to your sleep schedule.

If being around large groups of people induce depressed thoughts or anxiety, do not feel pressured or obligated to attend unimportant social gatherings. Parties (as are common in the summer) are meant to be fun, and if you feel like you won't enjoy yourself remember that you are not required to attend. If friends or family do not understand how you are feeling, try and talk to them. If they still don't understand or attempt to make you do anything that is detrimental for your mental health, then they may not be good for you to be around.

Finally, see the world if possible. It may seem like trips are one of the main aspects of summer vacation that are generally focused on, but there is a good reason for that! The world is unimaginably vast, old, and beautiful. It is important to remember this, not to lessen the validity of the pain or stress that you feel, but to remind you that there is more to life than just those negative feelings. While it may not be possible for everyone to simply take a trip to a far away destination (life restraints and responsibilities can dampen the spontaneity of adventure), just going for a walk in the park or looking up at the stars can be therapeutic.

So regardless of what steps you take, the most important part of having a mental illness (especially during the summer) is accepting it's there, and trying to live life to YOUR fullest. What works best for others may not be the best for you, and just because it's summer does not mean that you are somehow less of a person for not being necessarily happy.