Menstrual Cups Part Two: Are They Worth It?

My experience with a menstrual cup and my advice to you.

31
Wikipedia

I will be reviewing the MeLuna Medium sized Regular Menstrual Cup, with a regular stem, but this will also be a generic review on all menstrual cups.

I will divide the review into three parts:

1. Usability
How easy was it to handle and use? Did it work the way it was intended to?

2. Comfort
Was it painful? How did it feel compared to traditional feminine products?

3. Practicality
Was it easy to change in public restrooms? Is it worth the cost?

Each part will have a rating from 1-5 and a description. Hopefully this helps those of you thinking of getting one in the future.

Usability: 4/5

The usability of this product was better than I had initially expected. It was easy to fold and incredibly easy to insert. For the most part it stayed in place and worked exactly the way it was meant to. The only trouble I had was that it was hard to know if the device had popped open or not.

Side note: You fold the cup to put it in, and once it goes in, it is supposed to pop open which creates a seal against your vaginal wall and thus keeps any liquid from spilling out.

I had heard prior to buying a menstrual cup that you should be able to run your finger along the outside of the cup once it’s inserted to be able to tell whether it’s open or not. However, feeling around the cup was not as easy as it sounds, and I also found it was hard to tell if it was open or not. One time, I thought it was open and it ended up not being open; I suppose because some leaked out. Overall though, it was fairly easy to use.

Comfort: 3/5

The reason it gets such a low score in the comfort department may be an error on my end. I think it may have been too large for me personally and thus uncomfortable. You really have to take into account your cervix height when you purchase one. I would HIGHLY recommend waiting to see your gynecologist to let them tell you your cervix height instead of feeling for yourself. I found the “do it yourself” method incredibly unreliable and not helpful. It still works for thousands of women, so if you try it and feel confident, go for it. But if you are hesitant and unsure, wait to see your gynocologist before deciding what size cup. The website measuring criteria are even worse as they told me to go a size up, which I don’t think would have even stayed in much less been comfortable.

I tried it with the stem at first, which pinches your skin if your cervix is not high enough. Remember that the stem should be flush with the opening, not sticking out. After using and feeling the stem, I would suggest that anyone get the ball stem or stemless variety unless you know you have a high cervix.

Even though it was not the exact right size, most of the time I couldn’t feel it at all. It was only at certain angles that I could feel pressure. Generally, it felt even better than a tampon. Like a tampon that breathes, if that makes sense.

Practicality: 5/5

This item shines on practicality. It’s easy to transport. Just keep it in your purse in the little pouch they give you, and you’ll never again forget menstrual products at home. Plus, when you insert it in the morning, you can’t forget it either. Using it in public restrooms is not as scary as it seems. If you don’t feel comfortable taking it out to rinse in the sink, just make sure you buy vaginal safe wipes to clean it before reinserting. Honestly I have no problem rinsing it in the sink, seeing as that’s a lot less of a mess than some women leave in the bathroom when they’re riding the crimson wave. Ladies know what I’m talking about, walking into the stall to see the hallway from the shining. So don’t feel bad about using public facilities to actually clean up after yourself, that's what they are for. The MeLuna is the cheapest I’ve seen among the menstrual cup brands. It ran me about $25 for the cup and shipping. Most brands range from about $32 to $40. However, a box of tampons usually around $8, and you will get your money back within five months of a menstrual cup. Menstrual cups that are made well by a reputable company are set to last from 5 to 10 years so you will be saving a TON of money in the long run.

There is also the environment to think of. As Americans especially, we are particularly wasteful. Recently, there was news of the Great Barrier Reef dying, an eco system that had lived for thousands of years — and thrived — before humans. While many disastrous effects of climate change are caused primarily by factory farming and large corporations, we can still do our part by reducing waste.

Using a reusable cup compared to disposable items is like using a reusable water bottle instead of getting plastic ones. It is an easy, money saving choice that just makes sense for us and the environment.

In conclusion, I think a menstrual cup is a sound investment. There is a small learning curve, as with any menstrual product. You have to learn how to use a new product in order to make it work for you. Just always know that it can and will work for you. Do your due diligence. I would HIGHLY recommend MeLuna as a starter cup because they have so many sizes, but make sure you research what size you need separately.

DO NOT just go out and buy a Diva Cup and try it out, the Diva Cup does not fit most women. It is just the most popular in America. It may be the perfect cup for you, but there is a big chance it could not be. I don't want you to be turned off of menstrual cups because the Diva Cup was too big for you.

At the time I’m writing this article, you can get 10% off of a MeLuna cup by using code COZY10.

I’m not at all sponsored, I just think they’ve done a great job, and I’d like to make it easier for you to buy a cup if you choose to.

Until next time.