What Do Men Think Of Abortion?

What Do Men Think Of Abortion?

The answers may surprise you.

2244
What Do Men Think Of Abortion?
Sebastian Wahsner/Flickr

Abortion is a difficult topic to address, but nevertheless, it is a hot button issue—especially in the current U.S. administration. Often times, most articles on the subject are from the female perspective, but I wanted to explore the male view (not the male politicians in office) on abortion. After all, every child, born or not, has a father.

I posed the following questions to my FB and Instagram followers (and to any males they may know):

Below are the answers I received from men of various backgrounds and ages:

1.

"I have no opinion. Guys should know better than to even have an opinion on it. You can't make a judgment of any kind until you're in that exact position [as a woman]. Hence why I can't say anything either way." ~Randy, 36

2.

“I believe it should be the decision of both parents involved. They both made the decision to have sex; they can make the decision to have an abortion or not. Yes, there can be better options such as adoption, but ultimately, it comes down to both parents or just mother if the father is not in the picture for whatever reason. But if he is, it should be unanimous.

Not exactly [sure] if I’m more for or against it, I just feel that people need to make their decision on whatever the circumstances are. If they cannot afford a child, then I see him working as an option. But if you can’t afford a child but you guys don’t want one, I would rather see them deliver the baby but put it up for adoption. But then again, it ultimately comes down to the parents. It should be a two person decision. Two people that created the baby, nobody else.” ~Ryan, 20

3.

“I mean, all I really have to say is that it’s my child too, so I’d better have just as much say as the female in any decisions. Yeah, I mean hopefully it doesn’t happen, but I feel like something as big as deciding the future of your unborn child should be between the mother and father.” ~Anonymous, 20

SEE ALSO: I Am A Pro-Choice Christian, And Here's Why

4.

“I would like to start off by saying that in this debate, I am biased, and I don't think I cannot be biased for the fact that I was a baby meant to be aborted. My mother was an ill, 5ft tall diabetic when she was pregnant with me. The doctors said that due to her health conditions and vices during her pregnancy, I would be a hazard to my mother's life if she gave birth to me and that it would be better for the doctors to take my life. My mother, obviously as I am talking to you, refused. She gave birth to me, and I was a normal, healthy baby, and my mother was perfectly healthy. The reason my mother refused lied in a deeper history - for my grandmother was told the same thing by doctors when she was pregnant with my mother, but she refused as well and proved the doctors wrong. Thus, from experiential proof, I take a doctor's recommendation of abortion with a grain of salt.

That said, I would like to give a legal reference as to why abortion is murder, and thus should not be allowed.

Example: [Depending on the state] A man murders his pregnant wife. He is taken to court on first-degree murder charges. He is given a life sentence for his first-degree murder when he is found guilty in a federal court under Title 18 part 1 Chapter 51 code 1111. However, he is also given a second charge. For under Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 51 Code 1112, the man is also guilty of involuntary manslaughter, as the fetus was also killed when he killed his pregnant wife. Thus, if a man, under the law, can be prosecuted with manslaughter in such a way, why is it that abortion doctors can kill the same fetus in a lab in much more gruesome ways, yet be praised for it?” ~Matt*, 19

5.

“Abortion should always be the choice of the individual [the mother]. While I personally believe that it is terrible, if someone is unprepared in the means for providing for a child, then that child should not be brought into the world on the grounds that it will possibly suffer. I can understand the argument for both sides of the coin, but children are meant to be loved to every inch of one’s ability and cared for in the best possible ways. Some people just aren’t prepared to do that, and a child deserves nothing less than 100 percent of their parents’ love.

Adoption is an amazing option, but more often than not, they don’t get adopted in the timeframe they are most wanted, and therefore fall into the foster care system where kids can be neglected or worse leading to possible developmental issues throughout different stages of life.” ~Anonymous, 21

6.

“Regarding abortion, I believe it’s totally the woman’s choice. It’s her body and well-being that are at stake.” ~Anonymous, 65

7.

“Abortion equals a woman’s right. Men should not have a say.” ~Anonymous, 28

8.

“Regardless of attempts to rationalize abortion by claiming the unborn baby is not a human yet, it is undisputed that an abortion deprives the unborn child of the life it otherwise would have had.

For this reason, the right of the child to have its life must take priority over other considerations unless the life of the mother is also at risk.

It is a false argument to claim women have a right to choose what happens to their body because roughly 50% of aborted children are girls who would then have the right to determine what happens to their body violated by the abortion.” Anonymous, 51

9.

“Well, I’m pro-choice. It’s a very circumstantial issue because it really depends on the woman but a baby still in the womb has no conscience, and I think religion gets too involved with it.” ~Nick, 22

10.

“I am pro-choice, which does support abortion. The mother of an unborn child should have full-say over what she wants to do with her unborn child. The mothers of unborn children have to deal with ineffable emotional and physical torment as the fetus grows. Most politicians do not know this pain; therefore they should not speak for those who endure it daily. I'd much rather prefer the mothers having full control in what happens to their unborn children, rather than a bunch of politicians who cannot understand much at all, if any, of what these women face and with what they struggle endlessly.

Religion does not play much at all into my decision making. Religion is supposed to bring everyone together and unite each other. When I hear that poor woman who was sexually assaulted becomes pregnant and, knowing that she couldn't financially support the baby, wants to give up her baby can't do that because of some big man in the sky, I become very angry. These supposedly pious people are literally making life more difficult for those already struggling. It is quite apparent that helping this woman live her life the way she wanted to before being attacked was not at all a priority for those who ‘help people get back on their feet.’ It's disgusting, blasphemous, and cruel. If it turns out that I go to hell for believing this, then I'm going to help as many women as I can by helping them live the most fulfilling lives here on Earth before I go down. The ultimate choice should be left to the mothers, not the politicians.” ~Anonymous, 20

11.

“It’s a woman’s choice, and religion should be kept out of politics.” Phil, 21

12.

“I am against abortion. Religion is not the sole reason I feel this way. My religion has helped me understand a lot about ethics and how we are to treat one another, but even without being a Christian I would be against abortion. I have never been directly involved in a situation regarding abortion. The closest I came was when one of my close friends got a girl pregnant, and the girl was debating having an abortion, and the guy felt like he had no say on the matter. Thankfully, she chose to keep the baby.” Anonymous, 21

It was interesting that some of the men above just wanted to be consulted; they weren’t necessarily for or against, they just wanted to have input over the outcome of their child. I think this is something society often overlooks.

After working on this piece, I definitely appreciate the male perspective more, and I hope you learned something too.

*Name has been changed at request.