15 Things You'll Always Remember If You Were On A High School Swim Team

11. What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room...

7884

I competitively swam for 6 years of my life, my team was the Howell Sea Serpents. Some of my best and my worst memories came from being on the swim team. There were the stereotypical mean girls, but I also met my best friend during these years. She's the only one of my swim team friends I really still stay in touch with.

There are some things that people just don't understand when it comes to swimming, and they never really will unless they were ever part of a swim team. Here are 15 of those things...

1. Dreading the freezing cold temperature of the pool.

Ugh, hopping in to a freezing cold pool is the worst and leaves you shivering until the coach tells you what to do for warm up. And there is no taking time to slowly get in or you'll sure hear the coach yelling at you to "just get in the water!"

2. Trying to rock a swim cap and goggles.

Ah yes, the most unattractive style is a swim cap, goggles, and an extremely tight one piece suit that shows off every bulge and curve in the worst way.

3. Swim cap and water bottle wars

media.giphy.com

Good times before coach got there and after coach left. Water bottles were a great weapon of choice, especially filled with ice water. But if you wanted to got right for the throat, a swim cap full of icy cold water was your best bet.

4. Getting dizzy from flip turn practice.

media.giphy.com

Sure practicing flip turns was probably the easiest of the drills but you can only do so many flips until the pool starts to spin.

5. The fear of falling to your death off the diving block...

media.giphy.com

Those things are so much scarier than they look! The feeling of towering over your team mates is not any fun, it feels like you're on display for all to judge you. And the fear of falling off and hitting your head is real.

6. Dodging band-aids or other gross floaties.

media.giphy.com

Band-aids, hair balls, and other unknown floaties are absolutely disgusting and avoided at all costs. Just thinking about them makes me cringe.

7. Cool down with a stroke of your choice!

media.giphy.com

One of the most amazing sentences to come out of your coach's mouth: "alright cool down with a stroke of your choice." Back stroke was my go to, it was the easiest in my opinion and my favorite stroke.

8. Apologizing for smelling like chlorine.

media.giphy.com

Chlorine was a constant perfume and it seems like everyone can smell it but you.

9. Defending your sport!

media.giphy.com

All those football players laughing and telling you that swimming wasn't a real sport was the most annoying thing ever! Like... I'd like to see you swim a 200 I.M. in 2 minutes! Chances are they don't even know what the heck and I.M. is or how to properly swim all four strokes, if they know all of them that is.

You don't see me challenging your sport, so leave mine alone!

10. Trying not to slip while trying to get to the locker room first.

media.giphy.com

There's only a certain number of showers so if you want to be the first to get one, you better be willing to risk slipping and falling because there are puddles everywhere!

media.giphy.com

Enough said.

12. Dry land = not wanting to move the next day.

media.giphy.com

2 laps of lunges around the pool. 100 push ups. 150 crunches. 5 minute wall sits. I'm getting sore just thinking about it...

13. Having a song stuck in your head the entire practice.

media.giphy.com

And you don't quite know all the lyrics, so it's just the same part on constant replay in your mind.

14. Getting super mad at someone tugging on your ankle to pass you!

I don't know about you but some of my team mates got really nasty when they wanted to pass. Its annoying enough that you have to stop swimming to let them pass, but when they use their nails to scratch or grab your ankle and pull you back its hard to control yourself!

Oh, and then when you want to pass them, you get kicked in the face! Or they won't let you! Passing can get mean y'all...

15. All the memories.

media.giphy.com

Despite it all, you'll always remember the friends you made and your favorite and least favorite coaches. You'll always have some funny stories to tell, and hey, maybe one of your most inspiring moments came from those years on the swim team.