Memorial Day: A Day To Honor Those Who Have Died Or A Three-Day Weekend?

Are Americans losing the real meaning of Memorial Day?

16
CapeCod Irish Village

To many, Memorial Day is considered to be the start of summer and is often the first warm weekend of the year. Adults and children alike have a three-day weekend, which often prompts families to go on vacation for the weekend. If one does not go on vacation, there are still plenty of things to do. Many head to the beach, since it's the first weekend they are officially open. Others flock to pool clubs or country clubs. Those who are fortunate enough to have pools in their backyards often open their pools for the first time and host barbecues. Not only is Memorial Day used as an excuse to gather together to eat, drink and relax, companies have used the national holiday to promote business. Many large retail stores, car dealers and just about any other business you can think of often advertise “Memorial Day sales," encouraging customers to go shopping.

Most will agree that having an extra day off, going on vacation, getting deals while shopping and relaxing with family and friends are all enjoyable things. But we as Americans are forgetting the real reason why we are able to do all of these things and why the last Monday in May is a National Holiday. In the United States, we are free to say and do what we want when we want. We do not have to worry about being overthrown by another country or our government being taken over by a ruthless dictator. However, this freedom comes at a cost, and that cost is the lives of many men and women who have fought for our country in defense of freedom. Memorial Day is a time to remember all the men and women who perished in combat. Americans should use this time to honor and reflect on the sacrifices made by these men and women.

So, while you are laying on the beach, vacationing, or having a barbecue with family and friends, remember all those who gave their lives for our country and our freedom. Fly a flag in front of your home and attend ceremonies in honor of those who have died. Remember the real meaning of Memorial Day: a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered and honored.