Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Six

Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Six

The sixth part to my own marching band story.

10
Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Six
Tommy Kennedy

The season of my sophomore year was coming to a close. Shadows and Light had been pretty successful thus far, and all that was left was the State competition.

We went to State the previous year, but we got fourth place. This year, we would work even harder to prove that our band was one of the best in the state.

I've failed to mention that in the past, the Blacksburg High School Marching Band was nothing short of amazing. They won State many years in a row, making newspaper headlines and putting rival schools to shame. Don't get me wrong, the band was great when myself and my friends were in it, and it still is. But it would be foolish to deny the fact that we used to be better. We all desired to restore the band back to its former glory, and to make everyone proud. This was our chance.

The bus ride to State was quiet. Dixon always wanted us to use the trip there to "focus". Of course, this often led to making us more nervous.

This year's competition was held at night, so we arrived in the late afternoon as the sun hung low in the sky. We followed the regular routine, unloaded the instruments and uniforms, got dressed and unpacked, and lined up to go warm up. I remember being very nervous this time around. It was only the second time I had ever been to State, and last year we gave it our all and it still wasn't good enough.

Before I knew it, it was time to march to the gate. In our single-file line, we marched towards the field where there was already a band performing. They weren't doing so great. That was a good sign. Once they finished, they marched off the field, and it was our time to shine.

We were called to attention, and a booming voice announced us as we marched onto the field. Standing at parade rest in my opening set, I looked high up into the stands, the stadium lights blinding me. Our drum major called us to attention again, and just like that, the show began. Looking back, seven minutes feels like seven seconds. A blur of motion and sound that would never remain in my memory, no matter how hard I tried.

Soon, we were back at the bus, sweating and panting. We all kept asking Dixon and the other instructors how they thought we did. They thought we did well, but there was still no way to know for sure. Before I knew it, we were already lining up to go back to the field and receive awards. As we stood there in the dark in our line, the band booster club members came to us and said they had a gift. It was a black toboggan with a gold wildcat stitched in it, as well as the word 'band'. They were for us to wear out on the field as we accepted awards.

Adorned with out new hats, we walked back to the field. We got into our block and marched out with the other bands to the cadence of a drum line.

We stood there in the cold light of the stadium and waited with bated breath as the announcer began to call out placements. Just like last year, I could feel my heart stop every time the voice announced a name that wasn't ours, because it meant we were one step closer to glory.

Finally, it was time for fourth place to be announced. I was so nervous, it's a wonder I didn't pass out. I remember thinking that I couldn't stand it if we got fourth place again. Not again. The announcer began to speak, and called out a band that wasn't ours.

Now I really couldn't breath. We had done it, we had placed in the top three. It was an honor that any of the other bands who had already been placed would've gladly killed for. The announcer began to speak again, to name the third place winner. "The Blacksburg Wildcat Marching Band", he boomed. Surprisingly, the stands erupted with applause from the immense amount of wildcat representation. I felt so proud to have placed.

After the ceremony, Dixon came to us with our medals with the white ribbons, and placed them around our necks. Everyone was so happy, we were all taking pictures constantly and laughing and crying together. It was a night that we would all remember. It was a night in which we were victorious.

The bus ride back was loud and rambunctious. We road through the town of Blacksburg with the windows down, screaming out at the sleeping city to let them know we had finally accomplished our goals.

Nothing compares to the feeling of that night. The energy from the night still lives inside the medal that hangs proudly displayed in my room.

Shadows and Light ended with a bang, and I couldn't wait to get started on the next year's show.

Until next time- Raleigh Kennedy