Memes Are Taking Over Social Media

Memes Are Taking Over Social Media

And they're not always funny.

24
Memes Are Taking Over Social Media
Playbuzz

Memes take over the internet and sometimes it happens overnight. Normally I do not have a problem with memes. Often, I think they are kinda funny. But when memes start to make fun of an individual then that is when I don’t appreciate them. You have probably seen the memes that say “(Insert name) said they would meet me here and they are running late please tag them so they know I’m still waiting here.” If you haven’t seen them lucky you. They are everywhere.

And they drive me crazy. Not only do they offend the person in the picture because they don’t meet societies unrealistic definition of beauty. They also offend in a way the person you are tagging. And why should we be so quick to offend people. In society, today we shouldn’t be working so hard to offend people who surround us. We should be working harder to encourage and support people around us.

For a while I couldn’t go on Facebook for even a second without coming across one of these memes. It was ridiculous. I’m not saying they aren’t still out there because trust me they are. But I at least don’t see them as often. What is even worse about them is the fact that Facebook didn’t seem to care. I reported nearly every one of these memes and honestly Facebook didn’t do a single thing about it either. Every single one of them I have reported for harassment against an individual has come back with a message from Facebook stating that it doesn’t violate their community standards.

This is ridiculous to me. These memes aren’t funny. They are something that honestly is disrespectful in general. And the fact that Facebook doesn’t seem to care annoys me as well.