Meeting My Parents For The First Time

Meeting My Parents For The First Time

The transition wasn't what I expected...

151
Meeting My Parents For The First Time

The toys were never missing, clothes or money. But I was missing them. When there were activities at school (in Ecuador it’s very common), my classmates always came with their parents. While I came with my grandparents or when they could not, with my aunt Nancy. And it's not that I'm not grateful. I’m thankful for them being there because I at least had somebody, but I always longed to arrive with my parents. I imagined us holding hands, tight, as we walked together as a happy family. Almost like a corny scene you only see in movies.

But it was not like that. At least not until I turned eight and emigrated to the United States. And by then, my reality was also different. I arrived with a happy attitude, grateful to God for giving me such a special and important opportunity as a family. But after a while, the moments together were not always as I imagined.

My older sister and I clashed with my dad a lot. For some reason, he did not understand us, or maybe because we were capricious little girls we did not understand him. That being the case, I noticed that there was no super-loving connection between father and daughter. It was a somewhat distanced relationship that sometimes turned into shouts and complaints.

I'm not sure if my father ever raised children. My mom, on the other hand, had to look after her younger siblings since she was the older female among only boys. That’s why I think she naturally had the instinct of a mother towards us and tried her best to have a better relationship by taking us shopping, being nurturing and understanding.

It was a very difficult transition for both my sister and I; since I was eight years old and she was 10. There were several times when we were so furious with our parents that we would complain as to why they had left us. Now, that I’m older and understand their reasons, I see it as a cruel and selfish act on our part.

I remember my sister and I arguing with my dad. Several times I thought: “Why does he think he has the right to shout at me and tell me what to do if he was not even there for my first steps?” Again being selfish because I probably would not have remembered as a child.

For several years it was like that. A connection that lacked communication. We needed to create or fix a relationship that for many years only existed through a simple phone call. I know now for a fact, it was not only difficult for us as young girls, but also for my parents. My mom cried about how hard it was for them and my dad did too. He was sorry for leaving but asked us to understand their reasoning.

Now when I think about it again, I say, when we are young we act immature and do not know what we’re doing or saying. But we do it. I believe that I even said those hurtful things to my parents sometimes for vengeance, for the pain I suffered several years waiting for their arrival and wanting to meet them badly.

But life chose it to be this way. The circumstances in which we found ourselves decided that our lives had to go through this and so we did. They were difficult moments although thankfully we have been able to work on them and overcome it.

Our relationship is now different and much better than at the beginning. Especially with my dad because he was the hardest to understand due to his strong character. My mom is now almost like my best friend. I tell her almost everything because I have come to have that confidence in her. They have both supported me and Mary throughout college and thanks to them I am finishing my undergraduate education. Now, we are a united family, maybe not as I imagined it when I was eight but definitely, one that makes me feel happy and grateful to be here with them.

I hope to one day do more for them than they did for me. My parents are my inspiration. Thank you, mom and dad, for all you have done for Mary and I. I love you and dedicate my Bachelors Degree to you. You deserve this and much more.