Meet Ciara & Des, Proof That True Love Includes Always Feeling Comfortable to Be 100% True To Yourself

"This life is too short and this world is too big for you to hide yourself and limit your happiness."

73

Each week, Swoon features a couple that's deserving of being true #RelationshipGoals. If you or someone you know deserves to be featured, click here to nominate an amazing couple.

Being a 20something and trying to have a relationship work in 2018 is hard. Chances are, the both of you are growing and trying to figure out who you really are and what you want to become.

Or in the case of Des and Ciara, Swoon's latest featured couple, you might still be trying to figure how you identify with your sexuality, your body, and your gender.

When Ciara first met Desiree, now Des, she completely fell in love. They were best friends and a rock-solid couple. But as months went on, Des confessed to Ciara that he was transgender. Instead of turning their relationship upside down, Des's transition only made their relationship stronger.

Both Des' and Ciara's courage, empathy, and compassion makes them total #RelationshipGoals and exemplifies what it means to be a supportive partner.

Couple:

Ciara and Des

How long they've been together:

A little over 2 and a half years

Des went through his transition while you were together. How has that made your relationship stronger?

Ciara: Des' transition allowed us to go through something difficult together which in turn just made us love and trust each other even more. It also gave us an opportunity to fall in love all over again. Although I've always known the real Des, I'm able to be by his side while he is becoming the truest version of himself.

Des: I think my transition made us stronger because we both were able to be one hundred percent our authentic selves without fear or judgement or abandonment. Everything that I saw as a flaw in myself, Ciara loved unconditionally. We're able to see each other in the rawest form, good or bad, and know that we have an unbreakable bond. I'm extremely lucky to be going through this transition with her.

What is your favorite memory together?

Ciara: My favorite memory will always be the first time we met. We just planned to get dinner at Steak n Shake and I didn't think it would be more than an hour or so. I remember looking at my phone and realizing it had been over four hours and we had just been talking the whole time. We literally closed the place down and from then I knew that Des was going to be someone I wanted in my life.

Des: My favorite memory of us together would have to be our two year anniversary trip to Asheville, NC. There was one point during that weekend that we were sitting in a restaurant and I looked up at her and I just smiled. She wasn't doing anything in particular to make me smile. She was just...the most beautiful woman and this feeling rushed over me that I was the luckiest man alive to have her as my person. I'll never forget that feeling or that trip.

What's your perfect date night?

Ciara: Like most young adults, we both love craft beer! So finding a local brewery or restaurant and then of course bringing our pup, Hazel with us is one of our favorite ways to spend time together!

What qualities in each other do you appreciate the most?

Ciara: I love Des' kindness and compassion. He is so caring and respectful to everyone he meets. He goes above and beyond for his friends and family and I've never seem someone who loves as hard as he does.

Des: The qualities I appreciate most in Ciara are probably her honesty, her ability to love with her whole heart, and her sense of humor. I have never felt more safe and at home with another person and no one has ever made me laugh the way she can.

What advice do the both of you have for other LGBTQ+ couples?

Be unapologetic! Express yourself how you want to, love who you want to love, be exactly who you are, live your life truly and authentically, and don't apologize to anyone for it! This life is too short and this world is too big for you to hide yourself and limit your happiness. It might be hard and scary, but it is so worth it!

What's the most important thing you do for each other to make your relationship work in 2018?

Put each other first and COMMUNICATE! Life can get crazy, but remembering why you're in a relationship and why you love someone and talking through things when issues arise will help you tackle all of life's crazy problems together and on the same page.