What It Means To Be A Big

What It Means To Be A Big

The true Big/Little relationship

43
What It Means To Be A Big
Emalee Ousley

Most parts of being in a sorority seem cliché and fake. There are many negative stereotypes about sororities. The Big/little relationship is one that has a plethora of bad light around it. Personally, I was one of those people who thought the relationship between a big and a little was an arbitrary relationship that sororities made up to make members feel included. I was proven incredibly wrong. My big is an amazing person and although we only had a semester together she still became one of my closest friends however I was not truly proven wrong until I took my own little and became a big. I quickly learned that being a big was a huge responsibility.

Being a big is more then just taking your little to parties. It is a life-time commitment. My little is one of my best friends and I will be there whenever she needs me. Being a big means that you are there for your little whenever she needs you, it means that you are the person that is there to give her advice on classes, boys and future endeavors. You are there the person she can call at 4:00 a.m., and the person who holds her hair (not that that has ever happened). You are responsible for making sure that she always feels supported and never feels alone on campus.

Being a big has been the best part of my sorority experience. My little and I have a relationship that could never be replicated. She is the closest thing I have to a real little sister. From reveals, to family dinners, to Disneyland, to Ceder Point, we became a Big/Little duo that I never thought was possible.

The best part of being a big has been how much my little has influenced my life. She is one of the most hardworking and dedicated people I have ever met. She is one of the most caring people I have ever met and she works hard everyday to meet her goal of becoming a vet. She is inspiring and even though there are times that we both want to kill each other, she is going to be one of the hardest people to leave when I finish college in seven weeks.

Thank you, Brooke, for being the most amazing little I could have ever asked for.