The Years Of Me, Myself And I

The Years Of Me, Myself And I

It's just how it's been.

225
The Years Of Me, Myself And I
Sydnee Martin

Now before you go on telling me and others in who feel the same way that we're strong, independent women or men that don't need a significant other to be in our life. We get that. We know we don't need someone, at least I hope, to make our lives more enjoyable but it doesn't hurt to imagine what a relationship could be like, ya feel?

I'm 19-years-old and I've never been in a relationship. Although there were possibilities where that could happen, it just never did. That's probably because I've been told I'm oblivious or intimidating, but if I'm in fact intimidating, those people who are interested just need to raise their breeches (who even says that?

I did, because I honestly felt like it.) and they need to know that if they want to talk to me then go right ahead. I promise I'm not that intimidating...at least I don't think I am even though I've been told otherwise.

There are times where I'd love to experience what it's like to have a significant other. To be able to go out and be with one another without a care in the world. Of course, I can hang out with friends, but...it's not the same. To have someone else to confide in about things you'd necessarily not tell your friends and be able to feel something else for another human being on a romantic level would be nice.

If you're a hopeless romantic like me though, you probably overanalyze everything. From the way a person smiles at you, looks at you and even the way their body language reflects towards you.

I've been single for nineteen years and I've lived through books, friends, and movies/tv shows to understand what a relationship must be like. Even though movies and books are fictional I like to think otherwise even though that will probably do me more harm than good if I ever get into a relationship. Whoops.

Since high school my friends, family members, etc. have always asked if there was someone I was dating or someone in my life, and each time the answer would be no. There was a point in my life where that question would get so repetitive or friends would always say that I need someone, that I would begin to ignore it. I wanted to know what it was like to be in a relationship but I wanted to let it happen on its own accord.

I still do, but this homegirl's patience can only go so long sometimes. Times where I really do want another human being in my life on a romantic level and times where I'm like, I'll pass for now. Honestly, I feel like it will go two ways: that I'll really enjoy the relationship for a long time or I'll get annoyed and tired of it (That sounds bad, but it's how I think people.)

If you're single and you've been in the same boat as me for quite some time now, it's okay to want to know what it's like to have a SO. We're humans and we tend to crave affection.

Don't let other people who are single and are totally against relationships or not in the mood to handle one shut you down just because you want someone. If they don't want someone, that's how they want to go about life and you have to respect that just as equally as you'd want someone to respect your decision on wanting someone in your life after being single for quite some time now.

If you're a hopeless romantic like me, that's OK too. Even though we tend to over-romanticize things that may, as mentioned before, hype up our expectations too much when a relationship does happen, we will learn from our mistakes, hopefully.

I know I tend to be dramatic about how cute a certain relationship would be, but I also know that these are my imaginations that have been conjured up by years of stories and experiences that have happened from others.

It still doesn't hurt to think that way and it's totally cool to have feelings about someone you're interested in. Even if you are fearful of what may happen if things actually work out or things may not go as planned if you were to tell them that you like them.

I've been turned down before by an "Ok." if it makes you feel any better reading this. It was cold, but it was their lost seeing as how they started trying to get my attention, but I was kind of in a "not having it mood", even though I still lowkey liked them. A lot. Ah, what a time to be alive.

In other words, you do you. If you want a relationship but nothing's happening, go out there and get what you want or take your time because there is seriously no rush. You deserve things that make you happy and make you feel good because you're an amazing human being.

If you are single, have been for a while, and perfectly content with that, you go ahead and be that awesome human being you are, but remember that if someone else wants a relationship, respect them as well and make sure they are respecting your decisions too. You both deserve to be happy and content with the life that's been given to you in any type of way you see fit.