Maybe "Peter Pan" Wasn’t All Wrong

Maybe "Peter Pan" Wasn’t All Wrong

Some Much-Needed Guidance To Growing Up And Staying Happy

20
Maybe "Peter Pan" Wasn’t All Wrong
Emily Schabaker

There comes a time in everybody’s life when the bliss of childhood must come to a close and we face what we have been looking forward to since we were 15 years old. This exciting yet terrifying reality is known as adulthood. All at once the term morphs from being a thrilling land of freedom and possibility to being a terrifying realm filled with worry and heartache. It’s just a fact; adulting is hard and can force even the happiest and most easy-going people into bouts of depression and stress. Though you have been preparing for years, no one can really teach you how to act as a productive and beneficial member of a community. The responsibility can be overwhelming and, if you are like me, this reality is fast-approaching. Sometimes the weight on your shoulders seems insurmountable. But what if I told you all you must do to survive the hard days is to just look back to the old days when fairies existed and pirates sailed the seas. Perhaps even look back to J.M. Barrie’s "Peter Pan" as guidance, after all, “all the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.”

Your first step to survival is faith.

Remember when you were a child and you never, not even once, doubted yourself? It is in a child's nature to believe they will conquer the world by noon and after that, they shall nap, snack and still have time to change the fate of another universe. Children are modern day heroes. Sadly, adults seem to forget that once upon a time they took on any challenge with a grin on their face. Believe me, you are still that child at heart! Don’t let the world fool you into thinking that your uniqueness and fearlessness shouldn’t shine through. As an introvert myself, I know that this can be hard, so maybe you let your freak flag fly in a more subtle way. Just remember to have faith in yourself. Exist in the present and love yourself because no matter the decisions you make, it will all be ok in the end.

Trust in yourself.

Never forget to trust that you know you, trust that your life is important, and trust that you can make a difference. The heart of a child and the heart of an adult are the same with only two extravagant differences. Somehow, as we grow our hearts become gray with judgments and hypocrisy. I challenge you to overcome these grievances that make the heart heavy. Be kind to others and expect nothing in return. Trust others unconditionally and trust in yourself. Maintain the strength you once had and do not let others’ judgments make you weary. Fight for you and never give up, for you are unlike any other. Let this bring you comfort when you feel alone in a world of followers. Bask in your personal beauty and believe in yourself.

It’s ok, we’re all just a bit of pixie dust anyway.

Some say humans are made of stardust, many believe man evolved from the fish in the sea, and still others see man as God’s special creation, but no matter what you believe, remember a whole universe exists outside of your own little world. Within our little solar system, 400 billion stars burn, sending light waves at 186,282 miles per second (Howell, Redd). The earth orbits the sun at a distance of about 92 million miles, and the Milky Way spans across space at 1.87 light-years, a minuscule distance compared to the vastness of space (Measuring the Distance). You are a tiny spec of dust in this universe. Amazingly enough, in this vast and incredible space, some force allowed you to live. You, as an individual were granted this great life, no matter how small. Some force in this universe has determined that your life in worth living, your path is worth saving, YOU are worth having. To me, that is pure magic. You are so small in the grand scheme of things and perhaps this thought can bring you peace of mind next time you feel smothered by your worries.

The happiest man I know lives alone in his home that he has owned since 1960 at the age of 94. I believe his secret to life is in fact, eternal youth. He is a man whose laugh not only shakes his whole body but shakes others around him. It is impossible to remember your worries when he tells his stories or cracks his favorite joke. His smile is warm and his heart full, despite the hardships he has faced. And he too made the transition from child to adult rather early in life, yet he has not let it weigh him down. I urge not only young adults but older and wiser men and women to remember this man as well for you too can make it. Remember your inner child and take on the world with a smile on your face and a heart ready for adventure. Just remember "Peter Pan"— “all the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust."