I May Be Shy, But Please Give Me a Chance

Behind my quiet exterior, is an amazing, bright, intelligent girl who just wants to be accepted.
59

I know what you're thinking. I barely talk, and I don't seem to want to talk to anyone. It seems as if I go out of my way to try and avoid you. It seems as if I don't even like you, or I don't even want to get to know anyone. But that's not the case. Let me explain.

What I have is social anxiety. In no way does it mean I don't want to get to know you, or to become friends with you. It means that I am purely shy. When I am faced with an awkward situation, my immediate instinct is to stay quiet. I don't know why, but I just can't help it. I have been this way my whole life. I really want to get to know you, I really do. But my shyness holds me back.

But there is one thing I want everyone to know. My shyness and social anxiety does NOT mean that I shouldn't be given any chances. Behind my shy exterior is an amazing, bright, bubbly, intelligent girl who just wants to be accepted. If you take the time to get to know me, I can be hilarious. I have great experiences with leadership and taking charge, and if you look past my brick wall of quietness, I can do a bomb a** job of performing a task. My shyness should not be a conclusion when it comes to my capability. Please don't ever judge one another by your first impression, because chances are, that isn't their real self. It takes time to really get to know someone, and once you do, it will be all worth it. You may even end up being impressed by what the originally quiet, but actual spunky personality has to offer.

Because of my social anxiety and how quiet I am, I have missed out on a lot of chances. Yes, my social anxiety is a part of me for life, but I should still be able to be given a chance. I was once denied a counselor position because the camp director judged me on my quietness based when I was a child. What she failed to do was give me a chance and see what I had to offer, and how I've grown. So I moved on to a different camp, and ended up earning a camp counselor position there, all because I was given a chance.

So, to everyone out there, please give everyone a chance. Please disregard anything, whether it's shyness, race, religion, perspectives, etc. We all deserve it, and chances are that person may do a phenomenal job on whatever you're asking of them.