Mass Extinction? Eh, Whatever

Mass Extinction? Eh, Whatever

A recent scientific study indicates mass extinction in humanity's near future. The question is whether we'll do anything about it.

13
Mass Extinction? Eh, Whatever
huffpost.com

For a while now, we've all been ignoring the bitter reality that if we don't change the way we treat our planet, we're all going to die. Well, I guess that's a little extreme. You and I will probably be just fine, but our offspring's future isn't looking so bright.

According to a recent scientific study in the journal Science Advances, the earth is headed towards a mass extinction. In the earth's history, there have been five mass extinctions. Most recently, the dinosaurs. Now, we're on our way to a sixth and chances are it won't be caused by a meteor like the last one. When talking about the data gathered in the study, scientist Dr. Gerardo Ceballos said, "it's really signaling we've entered a sixth extinction, and it's driven by man."

Dun, dun, dun. But seriously, we kind of screwed the pooch on this one. When future generations look back at us, guess what we'll be labeled as. If phrases like "earth killers" or "environment destroyers" are coming to mind then you're on the right track.

It'd be nice if we could confidently say that the sole responsibility lies with corporations, but we all know that just isn't true. The fact of the matter is that us average citizens haven't done jack squat to stop this industrial pollution that has poisoned our water, air, and land. Even worse, we have passively supported the destructive practices of these big companies by continuing to buy their unsustainable cars, cell phones, TVs, and other items that come with a byproduct of pollution either in their production or use.

Just a couple weeks ago, Pope Francis said in a speech, "the Earth, our home, is beginning to look more and more like an immense pile of filth." The Pope went on to blame the consumer culture that dominates life, especially here in the U.S., as a central issue. He stressed that the effects may be irreversible if major change doesn't start to take place. He demanded "decisive action, here and now."

In some ways, it's already too late. Citizens of third world countries are already feeling the wrath of climate change as drastic fluctuations in temperature and weather patterns are making survival arduous. As the degradation of the environment and its ecosystems continues to strip the planet of vital resources that we as humans need to survive, the human race will be forced to stare a new reality in the face. The reality that there simply won't be enough for us all, and maybe not enough for any of us. Hence, the way we treat the planet needs to change quickly.

If I can nail one thought into your head and make it stick, this is it. Imagine what your children will think when they find out that we were fully aware of the danger that our planet was in, and still did nothing.