14 Things Only Marylanders Know

14 Words And Phrases Only The Truest Maryland Teen Will Know

Do you think you are a true Maryland teen? Check the list and find out!

43611

As most people know, Maryland has a lot of state pride. We love all things Maryland from our state flag (I mean it is the best one) to the crabs. Marylanders don't even question that their state is the best because they know it is.

But, do they know the Maryland slang? Only true Maryland teens will know all of these slang words. Put yourself to the test and determine if you are, in fact, a true Maryland native.

1. DMV

No, this is not where you go and get your license. For us, that is called the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration). All Marylanders know that DMV stands for D.C., Maryland, Virginia.

2. Jimmy

Jimmy is another word for a male blue crab, only crab experts (a.k.a Marylanders) would know this. You can tell if a crab is a Jimmy by the Washington Monument like the shape it has on the bottom of it.

3. Sally

A Sally is a female blue crab and they are usually the ones that are more sought after. You can tell by the shape on its bottom that is similar to the Capital Dome.

4. Hon

If you have ever been to Baltimore, then you know that everyone will call you "hon" there.

SEE MORE: 15 Things You Should Know About Maryland

5. Hoco/Moco/Caroll/Frederick/Etc.

In Maryland, we all refer to ourselves by counties. Hoco means you're from Howard County, Moco representing Montgomery County, and so on and so forth. But, for some counties, you just refer to them by their full names such as Carroll and Frederick. All true Maryland teens know how to correctly refer to their counties.

6. Geeking

If you find something funny and start hysterically laughing or lol-ing, then you are geeking.

7. Bet

Whenever you agree with someone or want to say yes, you can just use bet instead.

8. Terps

The Terps are a nickname for the University of Maryland, College Park Terrapin Turtles. The Terps are well-known in all Maryland homes.

9. O's

The O's are Baltimore's finest baseball team in Birdland. You guessed it: The Baltimore Orioles.

10. Ard

Alright = ard. It's that simple. Why is there a "d" when there isn't one in the word alright? The world may never know.

11. Sice

"Yo, I am so psyched for this weekend!" Translation: "Yo, I am so excited for this weekend!"

12. Bop

A bop is a term used for a distance that you do not want to travel or walk. Whether it is a short or long distance, you say it is a bop away if you don't wanna go there.

13. Snoball

No it is not a snow cone if it is in a cup. There is no cone present. It is a snoball.

14. Move

Move is another word used in replace of plan. So instead of asking what the plans are you ask what the move is.