Marvel's Whitewashing Problem

Marvel's Whitewashing Problem

They need to do better.

14
Marvel's Whitewashing Problem
http://i.imgbox.com/3uiQoRtg.png

The new Marvel movie, Doctor Strange, had its world premiere a few days ago, and the cast and crew addressed criticism the film has received for whitewashing its characters. In the role of the Ancient One, a character of Tibetan descent, they cast British actress Tilda Swinton.

Director Scott Derrikson said that he wanted a woman for the role, straying from the male character in the comic books. He justified his choice of a white woman by saying that that casting an Asian woman would support the “Dragon Lady” stereotype, which he wanted to work against. Casting women in roles that are canonically men (especially in the comic book universe) and acknowledging stereotypes are both great things to do, but by erasing Asian representation he does exactly what he wants to avoid. Marvel movies are in a fictional universe, and they are heavily funded, so there is no reason why they shouldn't feature diverse casts.

If Derrikson is as serious about ethnic and gender diversity he would acknowledge that representation is paramount is dispelling the very stereotypes he cites as prohibitory. Not casting an Asian woman because of the Dragon Lady stereotype puts blame on the actors and not the writers. If an Asian woman reads the script and it seems prejudiced, the solution is to change the writing, not the race of the character. Furthermore, if it cannot be changed, why not cast an African American woman? Or a Latina woman? Or a Native American woman? They could play against the Dragon Lady stereotype as easily as a white woman, and they would bring much needed representation to the Marvel Universe.

Additionally, diversity doesn’t need to solely manifest itself through background characters. The titular Doctor Strange could easily be played by a woman of color or an LGBTQ+ woman or a woman with a disability. The world is diverse and it’s important for everyone to have characters they can relate to in mainstream media. Diversifying their predominantly white, male universe could potentially shift the dynamic and change the casting patterns of smaller film companies. Benedict Cumberbatch is fine, but that's all he is. He's not a bold choice, he doesn't bring any new, refreshing perspective to the superhero movie genre, he's just safe.

I expect a company that prides itself on fantastic, outlandish universes and world-bending CGI and effects to be a champion of diversity. And yet, their movies have become tiresome. A white male with a token minority/woman side character teaming up with another (probably) white man to eventually overthrow a corrupt system that has some foreign influence (Marvel’s antagonization of foreign countries and reluctance to acknowledge that the worst evil is often home-grown is another issue). I have no problem with the simple plot and clear good vs evil dichotomy. Superhero movies have a long history of connecting people through patriotism and shared beliefs, showcased by easily accessible and understandable films. But Marvel can do better. They have a lot of power and it's time they started using it for good.