8 Self-Empowering Mantras To Boost Your Confidence

Mantras are a great way to improve your self-esteem and overall mood. Having one that you can repeat to yourself when you get stressed or anxious is a great way to help yourself.

105

Mantras have become a vital part of my coping methods, whether I'm coping with a grade I don't like or a pandemic. Check out my favorites.

I can do hard things

When life throws some curveballs (such as a pandemic), it's super helpful to remind yourself that you can handle it. Reminding yourself that you can do hard things can help you go into tough situations with more confidence in your ability to handle it.

I am worth the extra effort

I don't know about you, but I catch myself accepting the bare minimum from others a lot. In the moment, it may not seem like an issue. But in the long term, consistently accepting the bare minimum, can be hugely damaging to your self-esteem. Remind yourself that you are worth the extra effort, both from others and yourself. Treat yourself to a spa day or a new pair of shoes and definitely don't tolerate minimum effort from others.

I am responsible for myself

For me, this is a huge one. I am very ambitious and have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew. Reminding myself that I am responsible for myself is my way of telling myself that this is my decision. I can choose to take on some extra classes if I want, I do not need approval from others. Some people think this wording sounds awkward, so here is another one I use: "I am in control of my actions."

I am on the right path

I don't know a college student who hasn't worried or panicked over their major choices. The opportunities can feel overwhelming and never-ending. Taking a moment to remind yourself that your path is the one that is right for you can really help ease that stress. Your path will change and twist with the future, but it is the path that is meant for you.

I can change for the better

The international dialogue has been centered on the ideas of allyship and bettering yourself to be more respectful, kind, and aware of other people. This mantra has proved incredibly helpful for me as I come face to face with ugly truths of my unconscious bias and white priviledge. Reminding myself I can do better keeps me from feeling helpless or allyship fatigue. But this has also helped me when my grades start to slip!

My body is strong and beautiful

Like a lot of women, I struggled with body image issues for years. It took repeating this mantra (amongst other things) for about a year for me to start to accept and, eventually, love my body. The adjectives in this mantra can be switched out for anything: curvy, capable, bold, athletic, etc.

I believe in myself

When overcome with tough obstacles or simply just a huge pile of work, I repeat this to myself constantly. It's just a nice reminder that I can do it.

I am enough

This is a big one for me, I say it everyday. It's so affirmative and empowering, yet simple. I am enough.