6 Mandarin Artists You Should Be Listening To

Here Are 6 Mandarin Artists You Should Be Listening To Right Now

Because there's more to Asian music than K-Pop

1186

K-Pop has become increasingly popular around the world recently, and honestly, it provides a refreshing and diverse genre of music to the pop music scene. There has also been increased representation and appearances of these same artists on American media. The reality is, there are tons of amazing singers outside of just K-Pop that deserve recognition too. Here's a list of just a few Mandarin singers in that category:

1. JJ Lin

If you don't know him already, then you're definitely missing out. With a voice of a heavenly angel, Lin is known as "The Walking CD" for his near perfect live performances. With such a unique and beautiful voice, he has collaborated with and earned the respect of artists all over the world, from singing the Mandarin version of "Despacito" to getting David Foster to join him on his world tours. A few of his most notable songs include "可惜沒如果", "修練愛情", and "醉赤壁".

2. Lay Zhang

Possibly the most easily recognizable one on this list, Lay Zhang made headlines this year by attending the Grammys as an Asian artist. His third album, Namanana, which was released last year, also reached the highest ranking on Billboard by any Asian artist, peaking at no. 21. Some of his notable songs are "夢不落雨林", "Sheep", and "Give Me A Chance".

3. Eric Chou

This singer/songwriter first became famous from writing and performing a song in a popular Taiwanese drama. Afterwards, he released song after song of drama theme songs (or at least they all sounded like one), and captured the hearts of the nation. Seriously, by simply listening to his songs and his voice, you'll feel like you're in the middle of a drama. His famous works include "你好不好", "以後別做朋友", and "怎麼了".

4. Nine Percent

In 2018, Nine Percent debut from an idol producing show as one of China's first boybands. These 9 members, chosen by the public through rounds of voting and training, come from different backgrounds and even countries. As they were voted by the people, these members with ages ranging from 16-25, are highly popular in China. Notable songs from their first album include "創新者", "I need a Doctor", and "Good Things".

5. G.E.M.

G.E.M. Tang has one of the most powerful, yet beautiful voices in existence. She wowed the nation with her powerful voice at the young age of 17, and has been continuing to impress everyone since then. From singing the Mandarin theme songs for Western movies to acting as a judge on many singing shows, her voice, as well as her songs, can make jazz up any study session and pull you through every emotion she tries to convey. Some of her best songs include "泡沫", "光年之外", and "倒數".

6. Mayday

The oldest group out of the 6 listed here, Mayday is a Taiwanese classic. In the past 20 years that they've been producing music, they have never disappointed. Even 20 years later, they have fans across the whole age spectrum. From existential songs about life to happy jams that will spice up any hangout, Mayday has been, and will continue to be, the classic band that no one can dislike. Some of their music include "你不是真正的快樂", "乾杯", and "OAOA".