How K-pop Style is Redefining Masculinity

Your favorite idol groups have a greater underlying social impact.

92

K-pop has exploded and dominated the music scene in the U.S. and many other countries around the world. Idols are known for their crystal clear skin, elaborate choreographies, and coordinated wardrobes. But it's much more than that, male idols aren't afraid of rocking eyeliner and what can be considered more feminine concept looks, breaking down stereotypes of masculinity and promoting gender fluidity. Many girls go crazy over these idols in "feminine" looks, showing that what can be considered sexy and attractive on males goes beyond a dominant and macho persona. Here is a list of male idol groups gender-bending concepts they totally rocked:

1. Chokers

Many groups such as BTS, Vixx, and Monsta X have sported chokers during their comebacks, creating an ethereal sexy look. Chokers were a big trend in 90s in women's fashion and recently came back, and it's not just women who are jumping on the trend.

1. Eyeliner

Eyeliner has always been a trend in male idol concepts from eyeliner on the waterline to smokey eyes. Eyeliner creates a sexy sultry look, especially when idols darken their gaze, it'll leave your heart swooning.

1. Colored Hair

A huge trend in K-pop looks is colored hair. Normally, it was perceived that only women cared about dyeing their hair and that guys who did are girlish because they cared about their looks to that extent. Now, many male idols dye their hair fun colors like teal, red, pastel pink, purple, etc, creating a fun carefree style.

1. Earrings

It's been said that guys who pierce their ears are gay but male idols prove you can look good in them no matter what your sexual orientation is. Many idols don't just wear studs but like to wear one dangly earring and small hoops or studs in the other. What results is a slightly hardcore and edgy style.

1. Mesh Tops & Blazers

If girls like to wear a bra or bralette with a mesh or see-through top over it then the male equivalent must be male idols wearing mesh tops with blazers over it. This creates a subtle yet very sexy style that leaves fangirls yearning for more.

Male K-pop idols prove that males can style and present themselves in a manner that breaks the traditional stereotypes of men. They are breaking boundaries and redefining what it means to be a male and a sexy one at that.