To The Former Female Athlete Making A Comeback

to the former Female athlete making a comeback

You may be rusty, but you're not washed up.

54
Casie Weidinger

Dear Former Athletes,

I previously wrote to you all about the struggle that's felt being an alumnus to your favorite sport. What it feels like to watch a game and know there is nothing you can do but sit, and watch, and sit. How painful it feels to never have that rush back and to give up, move on and grow from one of your passions.

As a former athlete who had retired from her sports for four-plus years, I felt all of those sad and bitter emotions that I poured into that previous article. Writing to you now, I can say I'm making a come back.

Well, let's get this straight, it's not a full force come back, I'm not trying out for the pro's or anything, I'm not even on an official team. But, when I received a text asking if I wanted to be part of a summer league, it felt that serious.

How will I even keep up? What if I can't catch? What if my throw sucks? Oh god, I'm out of shape.

It took about a few days of talking myself down to realize I had impulsively said yes and now I needed to face that it was a go. I felt nervous to be apart of something that already felt so far behind me, unfortunately. I was even asked to build my own team, having been a prior captain of my lacrosse team, I felt actually excited to reach out to all of my old teammates and reconnect. On the other hand, I was nervous to put myself out there and await their decisions.

Within two days I had a team and I had already planned my first practice. I can't even explain how exhilarating it felt to pick up my lacrosse stick again for the first time in four years. To pass it to my teammates and to actually find, I can still catch.

It was completely scary and I was full of anxiety and nervous chatter on the way to my first recreational game but it really fulfilled this piece of me I forgot existed. It made me feel wholesome and full of life in the least corny way possible. Basically, if you're considering picking up a ball or bat again and aren't sure if you still got it, I say do it. You'd be surprised what your body remembers and what it can do. You also deserve to remember what it feels like to play again, so don't be afraid or hesitant. Do it, make the comeback, it'll be epic regardless of small it is.