Making Music From The Heart :

Making Music From The Heart :

An interview with Chuan Wei Tseng

142
Chuan Wei Tseng,

For this week’s interview, I decided to take it out of the United States to talk to someone on a more global level. Too many times I feel people forget that great music exists outside of the United States, this is especially true with Chuan Wei Tseng, a good friend of mine and musician who lives in Taiwan. He is a remarkable talent, and has been playing music since 4 or 6 years old. That’s impressive to say the least , as many do not at times always put that kind of effort into music as such a young age. Receiving a Bachelor’s Degree in music In California, he then returned to Taiwan to pursue his dreams as an artist. With a style that combines the styles of classical, jazz, blues, fusion, rock and roll, and pop, it’s easy to say that you will not always get the same kind of music over and over again from an artist with this kind of talent. For someone whose main focus is classical, the guy is extremely talented on a guitar. Watch some of his YouTube videos and you will be in awe, there are just no words to really explain how talented this man is, you really just have to see it for yourself. If you want to see more of his music be sure to check out his Facebook page. Happy Listening!

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Chuan Wei Tseng. Taiwan is my birth place. My engagement in music started with my childhood. I learned piano and guitar at the age of 4 and 6. I received a bachelors degree of the Musicians Institute, CA USA. As returning to Taiwan, I work as a classic musician and composer. The sorts of my works include classical, jazz, blues, fusion, rock and roll, and pop. As a director of art (music), I run 4 shops.

Ah okay, that’s pretty cool. It’s always nice to hear stories of people who come here to study from abroad. What genre do you consider your work to be?

Classical.

Very nice, I tend to listen to classical when I need to concentrate or I just want to relax. Who are your major influences musically?

Bach, Vivaldi, Paganini, and Chopin.

Very good choices. Vivaldi’s four seasons is so pleasant to listen to. It’s a beautiful piece of art. Paganini has this unique energy to his music that makes him stand out as a composer. What made you want to pursue a career in music?

I wanted to compose my own songs.

I understand that as a poet and writer. You want to learn the tools of the trade to get better. Where have you performed? Do you have a favorite place where you have performed?

I performed at the National Concert Hall in Taipei, Hollywood in the US and the club nearby the Studio City Hotel in Macau.

The US. I like the audience with quality in the US.

I find that interesting. Mainly because it isn’t often I get to interview International artist. So it’s interesting to hear what people think of the United States in terms of music from a non-biased perspective. What can fans expect from you this time as a solo artist that you have not done on previously in other projects?

I want my fans to know that I have composed a lot of pop love songs and other sorts of music besides the classical.

When it comes to writing music, what do you like to write about the most?

Each song I compose has a story in it.

When it comes to making a new record or song, what is the process like for that?

I will buy enough food and stay at home for a week or a month, even longer at times. I go to the studio for recording as the demo tape is done.

Oh wow I see. I appreciate how much you plan and dedicate time for this. I feel like with anything in the arts that’s what you have to do. You have to really push yourself at times to reap the rewards. Okay, how has your music changed since you first started?

I never have composed a song for money-making. I have mentioned that each song I compose has a story in it, so I lose one if one is sold. Each song is my baby, my child and my beloved.

Beautiful way of looking at that. I understand what you mean being that music isn’t just something you create, it takes a lot of hard work, heart, and dedication. When you write about your life, I can agree that’s like putting a part of yourself out there for the world to see. It puts you in this vulnerable state for people, so I get that. Where do you see yourself musically within the next few years?

I will remain the same. I will keep composing my songs and be myself as I used to aspire in my childhood.

What is the hardest challenge you had to face in your career? If resolved, how did you get past it?

The recession in the Asian pop industry prevents the true musicians with expertise from thriving, but those without professional musical training can perform on the stage. They as the fakes deceive the audience. Still, the record companies cannot stop producing LOUSY music (low cost and bad quality). Since the music lacks the quality and nature, the companies have to cover it with those fakes with pretty looks and curves lacking professional training.

I see what you are saying. Only thing is I think at times this problem persist with a lot of of the music industry. It even happens in America, you sometimes shake your head and you ask yourself, how did this person get here? But I also feel there are a lot of talented people out there that make up for the bad music such as yourself haha. How can fans to be gain access to your music?

Please visit my official URL on Facebook, Chuan Wei Tseng.

Okay, it’s been a pleasure as always talking to you. Thank-you for doing this. Is there anyone you would personally like to thank for supporting your over the years?

My family