Distance Means Nothing When They Mean Everything

It may be hard, but miles won't phase the right relationship.
8117

Long-distance relationships tend to have a bad rep.

Personally, I think it's because people are lazy nowadays and don't want to put forth the extra effort required in a long-distance relationship. Long-distance takes sacrifice, something a lot of people are not willing to do. It's nothing new that relationships are not valued as much these days. Most people are quick to put their needs before anyone else's, which is just not how a relationship is supposed to be.

I'll be honest. I never thought I would be able to handle long-distance. I guess you could say I am a bit needy. I like to see that person, talk to them, be around them, so I never thought texting, calls, or occasional visits would be enough.

But I was wrong.

It's not that these things are enough, it's just that when you find the right person, you are willing to take what you can get.

It's worth it for the right person. So no, I probably wouldn't be able to do long-distance if it wasn't the right person.

Distance is a true test of a relationship's strength. Most likely if a couple can make it through long-distance, they have a good chance at surviving other relationship problems.

Distance teaches you to be thankful, humble, and patient. You become more thankful for the moments that you do get with that person. You become more humble because you realize that this is not only hard for you, but also hard for them, so you think of their feelings more. You become patient because that is what distance makes you.

The old saying is, "distance makes the heart grow fonder," and I fully believe in this.

Each moment in your relationship means more because you share fewer moments.

Space is also a very important concept in distance. Even the most compatible people can't be around each other 24/7 without getting on each other's nerves. Distance eliminates the silly arguments that stem from being around each other too much. When you finally get to see that person, you will be so happy that these petty fights don't occur, or shouldn't at least.

Appreciation. This is also a valuable lesson that distance teaches us. When you're around someone all the time, you tend to overlook the small things. The way your girlfriend always kept your house clean without asking, or maybe the way your boyfriend cooked you dinner for no special reason. You begin to expect these things, which makes you not appreciate them. Distance makes you realize what you have.

So yes, distance is hard. It definitely puts a strain on a relationship. However, if it's for the right person, distance means nothing. When that person means everything to you, distance is just another part of what you have to deal with in life.

You adapt and make the most of every minute you have with that person, because when it is right, nothing as petty as a few miles can stop it.