Stress Less About Family Gatherings

Stress Less About Family Gatherings

It’s time to stop letting the holiday parities stress you out…

59
papasemar.com

Every family has their own quirks, and their own drama. We all love our families to death, but the holidays can be extremely stressful when it comes to having to go to the family parties. All of last week my sister, cousins, and I have been trying to prepare for the annual Easter party. I have gone shopping for dresses that would make me look fantastic so that I wouldn’t be insecure at the party. My thought processes have literally been, “does this dress make me look like I’ve put on the freshman fifteen? Or do these shoes make me look like I am trying too hard to look taller? And, should I even be wearing a dress since I am so pale?” Meanwhile my sister is just as bad, running on the treadmill thinking that she will somehow make herself look better for the party! Even though we both laugh about how silly we are being, I’ve realized that there’s a part of me that cares way too much about what my family thinks about me. I have even found myself dreading holidays because I am so stressed out about not looking perfect, or not coming home from college successful enough. I’m sure many people can relate to my holiday stress, and this year I have decided that enough is enough. I am done stressing out about the family party for many reasons.

First, my family doesn’t care as much as I think they do.

Despite the fact that I always try so hard to impress the family at the holidays, they really don’t care half as much as I think they do. I know that my family loves me and they just want what is best for me, despite the way that it can come across at times.

Secondly, l only see my family all together at once, during the few holidays of the years.

This year I am going to take the opportunity to enjoy spending time with my family, because I do not always get the chance to see them. I genuinely love them and care about how they are doing, and they care about how I am doing.

Thirdly, the opinions of my family do not define my self worth.

The same thing goes for anyone. As long as I am happy with myself and my life, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. As long as I am happy with my life, my family can’t help but being supportive, and there is no need to try and impress them.

Finally, Easter (or any holiday) is not about the annual family party.

Easter is a time to celebrate the fact that Christ died and rose from the grave, giving us eternal salvation. That’s a pretty big thing to celebrate! Easter gives us all a fresh start, a chance to re commit our lives to the Lord Jesus Christ, and the opportunity to put the past behind us. This Easter, and for every holiday following, I am going to focus on spending time with loved ones and focusing on why we are together, rather than what my relatives are thinking about me.