Making Connections, Knowing Where You Are

A look through the often overlooked neighborhood of Rogers Park

9
Abigail Christiansen

Connecting to where you live.

Rogers Park, Chicago IL is a more understated and often forgotten far north neighborhood in the great city of Chicago. When I first moved back to the city, I was determined to live on my own. And with a nonprofit salary, I found myself in this more affordable lake-side place. Falling in love with my apartment, I began to realize the amenities the community so modestly boosted.

A beautiful and very telling aspect of the neighborhood I love is the extensive murals painted on the cement CTA overpasses. Through the physical elements the murals are incredibly well kept; the paintings are even untouched by vandals. These paintings are so much more than interesting images to look at, they tell a story-- they are a look book into the history of this town.

Roger Park sits above Downtown, Wrigleyville, Uptown, and Edgewater and is the farthest neighborhood north before we leave the city. In 1906, when Chicago was in one of its earlier stages of development, Rogers Park began a significant development. The Jesuits founded St. Ignatius Parish as well as Loyola University, two establishments still in existence. In 1908, the CTA red line was extended to the northern suburb of Evanston, taking four stops in Rogers Park. This began a time of positive growth and economic development for the area.

Every neighborhood in Chicago has an emblem or insignia of sorts. A tree of multicolored hands next to the water, is a very real representation of this place. Rogers Park has a reputation of distinct diversity.

The CTA red line cuts straight through Rogers Park, not just giving way to its early development, but being a key mode of transit for modern commuters. The city committed to covering the CTA overpasses with amazing art work and paintings. Much like the neighborhood itself, the murals are a different style and message at every block.

Some of the paint has chipped under the harsh pressure of the Chicago climate. But, it still stands up well, and so far remains untouched by vandalism.

In the early 1900s, as Rogers Park was booming, large beautiful homes were built, and there was a noticeable amount of religious diversity as well.

As we take a look down these murals on Glenwood Ave, we see pieces of the far past, connecting to more recent history.

After WWII, many wealthy families residing in Rogers Park made for the suburbs, as many city dwellers did at this time. This provided the space for many East-Asian, African, Mexican, Korean, Indian and Pakistani people to seize business ventures here. This was an important beginning of one of Chicago's most diverse neighborhoods.

Chicago as a whole is incredibly diverse, however Rogers Park truly is a coalition of more racial and religious groups that most other Chicago neighborhoods.

Perhaps its key to success is the long standing coexistence of so many different people in one place. When you grow accustomed to seeing contrasting people everyday, it becomes a norm. And as years go by, we see the norm becoming culture.

The nature of this area is often exhibited in the murals as well.

Some paintings prove a point. This powerful image above is showing the scary consequence of human activity, pollution and the often unbalanced relationship with mankind.

Some murals are just beautiful to see.

There is a whimsical randomness to the murals that is entertaining. There is not an effort to make a seamless transition from one idea to the next, it is a compilation of many people and countless thoughts.

Again, celebrating the wonderful history of diversity of this place.

As you venture to the beach, there is more community art, mingling by the lake.

There is a cement bench that extends right along the beach, and is sectioned off with a quilt of paintings and imagery .

There is a visual history of many social movements in Rogers Park, Chicago and America.

Signatures of people who contributed-- found one with my name.

There is great value in seeking what you may not believe is there and embracing all that is around you. Rogers Park is unique and understated, its busy and its full. There is so much to be found and so much to connect with. Go out and engage with your community. Go out and see who shares this space with you.

And every photographer needs a partner.

Photography: Abigail Christiansen