Reasons to rethink your decision

It’s Time to Rethink Your Decision

If it doesn't feel quite right.

70

Sometimes you make a decision that you instantly regret. Other times, you find yourself in limbo on whether or not you made the right choice. There are three clues I use to show me I need to rethink a decision that I made.

1. I feel rushed

There's a big difference between a decision that is made quickly and a decision that is rushed. Rushed means that you didn't have enough time to think on it, or you just chose not to weigh all the options. It's commonly paired with a feeling of panic. I don't think "panic" is ever a feeling that leads to a good choice. You should wait until you are sober-minded and revisit the issue. It's the same idea behind another rule that I try to live by: Never send a text when you're angry. Emotional choices are the opposite of rational choices. If you must make a decision quickly, and you feel peace about what you should do, go for it. If not, step back. Something better is on the way. A rushed decision is never a good one

2. I'm defensive over it

If I'm constantly in defense mode over a choice that I made, it tells me one thing: I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm happy with my decision. You certainly know what I'm talking about. It's that feeling of anger you get when someone questions you a little. You all the sudden feel the urge to explain to them, in full detail, why you're satisfied with your decision. Now I usually don't notice this in myself until after I have gotten upset with someone (who is probably trying to help me). People who are proud of their choices are confident, steady and able to dialogue about them. They certainly don't treat a question or two as if it's a full-blown interrogation.

3. I catch myself saying, "I don't care what anyone thinks."

Nothing makes me think that someone really cares about what others think more than when they are constantly reiterating that they don't care what anyone thinks. Unfortunately, that hasn't stopped me from being guilty of saying that little phrase. When I make a choice that I'm proud of, I want to let my life speak for itself. People will eventually see that I'm doing well, and hopefully, it's a result of my decision. I shouldn't have to announce that if someone doesn't like my choice, it doesn't bother me. All I need to do is stand by my decision.

Security that comes with sound decision making doesn't negate opposing ideas. There will always be someone who disagrees. But this shouldn't scare us. It should inspire us to be even bolder in our choices and live proud.