How not wearing makeup for a week changed my self-esteem

How Not Wearing Makeup For A Week Changed My Self-Esteem

My everyday makeup routine was getting to be too much. Makeup became a crutch and not a fun, artistic way of expressing myself. I finally went makeup-free for a week and the results surprised me.

106

A week ago was the last time I put on makeup. I have read the articles everywhere, the "makeup-free week" was done time and time again. I support the naked face photos on Instagram, but never did I commit to stop wearing the aid that made me feel confident. I put on my makeup every day, waking up a half hour early so I could cover up anything that makes me look human was the norm for me. I used to dislike putting on makeup, and on occasion, I skipped it altogether. Then in my mid-teenage years, I started to rely on it to only go to Walmart. It mattered to me if someone could see a pimple or my dark under eye circles.

Recently, a quote by Gail Dines, a professor of sociology and women's studies at Wheelock College in Boston stuck with me, "If tomorrow, women woke up and decided that they liked their bodies, just think how many industries would go out of business." Makeup incidentally became my crutch. I began forming excuses as to why I should not stop painting my face every day, "I do not wear as much makeup as other girls," "people will think I look gross if I suddenly stop wearing it." Last week, I decided, enough was enough. I went an entire week without makeup, and it impacted my self-esteem tremendously.

The first two days were not as bad as I expected. The little Gail Dines quote still motivated me on a post-it note. I loved my "new" face and the idea of saving time in the morning to sleep! I did not notice my imperfections in the mirror. After the first two days, I hit a roadblock. My motivation quickly turned, when I found myself looking at a pimple, I had on my forehead and my red spots I get on my cheeks. On day 4, I was about to give up and come up with another self-improvement task. Day 5 through 7, it got easier. I am not going to lie and pretend that I did not feel insecure at all, at times I thought everyone was looking at me. However, I started to feel more like myself. At one point, I looked in the mirror and smiled because of how my confidence as improved. I finally did it; I went makeup free! My makeup free week was exciting and eye-opening. I still love doing my makeup, and I will do not think to go makeup free completely.

I like the idea of doing makeup and decorating my face whenever I see fit, but no more will makeup be my excuse to "correct" whatever flaws I see in myself. Makeup is my hobby, but I will no longer use it as a cover for my insecurities. I am not a perfect doll; I am human. Unfortunately, our society feeds us our insecurities and despises any confidence might have. When did confidence and self-love become egotistical? When did loving who you are, despite wearing makeup become narcissism? It is time that I stop paying attention to the opinions of people that do not matter and love myself and my "imperfections."Because of my week-long experience, I decided to go "bare" once a week to show off my newly found self-confidence. Listening to the beauty gurus paid off this time, no makeup for a week transformed the way I view my natural self.