Which Makeup Companies Do Or Don't Test On Animals?

Learn the truth about your favorite brands

985
www.youtube.com

We like to think of animal testing by makeup companies as a thing of the past. I mean, it's been going on for so long, surely somebody has put a stop to it by now, right? Didn't "Legally Blonde 2" come out in 2003?

Unfortunately companies testing their products on animals is far from gone, and is hardly going to change any time soon. It's a harsh reality that none of us really want to read about, but as long as we ignore animal testing, they will continue to get away with it.

One of the reasons a lot of these companies are where they are on the list is that they have chosen to sell in China. You see, this is more than simply not using animals in the development of their products. In order for a company to be permitted to sell in China (the most populated country on the planet), their products must undergo animal testing per the government's rules. In other words, if it's available to more than half the world, it's likely not cruelty-free.

Companies that do test on animals:

Avon

In 1989, Avon abandoned animal testing in favor of more humane practices, but they are one of the many who sold out to China for the opportunity to sell there.

Benefit Cosmetics

This is sad, because I really loved their mascara. Oh well—there are always other mascaras in the sea.

Clinique

Clinique is most known for their skin care and anti-aging products; aging women love these. However, like many companies you'd be surprised are, it is a subsidiary of the Estee Lauder Companies, which all sell in China and test on animals.

Dove

Dove body care is great, I guess, but not at the cost of little bunnies lives. (And what we have to remember is that it's not just rabbits. Almost all animals are at risk for animal testing, even cats and dogs.)

Estee Lauder

Estee Lauder is probably the biggest cosmetics brand to be doing what they are. It's disappointing, for sure.

M.A.C.

Another Estee Lauder subsidiary, M.A.C. is considered one of the most high-end companies right now. (Their profits certainly reflect it!)

Mary Kay

I love my Mary Kay cleanser and use it every night, so this is a really hard pill to swallow. But knowing what I do now, I don't think I would feel right buying any more.

Sephora Brand Cosmetics

It's important to note that this isn't every product in Sephora stores—it applies to only the Sephora brand.

Stila Cosmetics

This is probably the hardest for me to hear, personally. I own lots of Stila and was under the impression they were cruelty-free. Technically they are, but the third party companies that provide the ingredients for their products are not.

Victoria's Secret Beauty

I feel like not many of us are all that surprised that a name as big as Victoria's Secret tests their products on animals. It still sucks, of course.

Brands that don't test on animals:

Bath & Body Works

I am so unbelievably happy that I don't have to give up something so important to me. Thank you, B&BW! I will continue buying your three-wick candles forever. (PS—They're on sale right now!)

Burt's Bees

A lot of people think of of Burt's Bees as a Chapstick brand, but they actually have lots of other products! (I'd like to personally recommend their pomegranate shampoo!)

ELF Cosmetics

ELF Cosmetics' products are simply elegant. Their nail polish is a hidden gem, their lipsticks stay on forever, and their eye shadows have just the right amount of sparkle.

Fake Bake

Easily one of, if not the best self-tanner on the market, millions of teenage girls during prom season will be grateful to hear these are completely cruelty-free!

LUSH

Everyone who has had the blessing of using LUSH knows they're one of the most active fighters against animal cruelty right now. And I mean, it's LUSH. I'm taking this as an excuse to go buy more in support of anti-cruelty right now.

NARS

NARS is a perfect combination of edgy and earthy. I didn't even know that was possible until I found their products.

NYX Cosmetics

NYX carries super fun, different shades, but they also carry products for every day wear.

Smashbox

Smashbox has tons of great products, but I'd like to personally recommend their Photo Finish Primers to everyone; seriously, they're the best.

Soap and Glory

If you've never heard of Soap and Glory, you're missing out. Their bath products smell heavenly and their cute names make you want to buy them even more. (My favorite are the body scrubs, but the hand/feet creams are great as well!)

Softlips

Softlips are arguably the best lip balms you can get right now. They're more soothing than Chapstick and taste/smell a thousand times better. I never go anywhere without my Softlips cube.

Tarte

Admittedly, I don't think I've ever owned any Tarte. I have been told by numerous people that their Amazonian Clay foundation will change your life. I might have to try it out after I've used the last of my M.A.C.

Too Faced

What I love most about Too Faced is that, from the outside, their products look super girly and basic. Then, you try them out and are mesmerized by their bold, long-lasting colors. Combine that with the fact that every other thing is shaped like a heart and you've basically got my dream brand.

Urban Decay

What more is there to say about UD? Their eyeshadow primers are unbeatable, their Brow Box is a must-have, and as everyone knows, their Naked Pallettes changed the game. Rock on, Urban Decay!

In 2016, it's a big deal for a company to not test on any animals. They're taking millions of dollars of hits in profit compared to companies that do, but they're doing what is ethical. This year, let's support the companies that support our animals, our own well-being and our world.