5 Things Everyone Should Know When Making Self Love A Priority, As It Should Be

Basically, all you need is self love.

65

Basically, all you need is self love. Self love should be your number one priority, so, here are things to know about self love.

1. Self love is not always easy.

Photo by Designecologist from Pexels

Although, self love should be self explanatory with the words alone, there may be some individuals out there who do not clearly understand the meaning because they have never been taught how to love themselves. The definition of self love is the love of oneself. In the beginning, loving oneself can be a hard process and doesn't happen overnight. Acquiring self love can take months, years, or even a person's entire lifetime to develop. However, once a person finds self love they will realize what they have been missing their entire life.

2. Accepting yourself, it’s truly ok to be different.

Photo by hannah grace on Unsplash

The very first thing that you need to learn about self love, is to accept your flaws which can be difficult for some people in the beginning. But what you have to look at and understand is that those little imperfections makes you who you are. Everyone in this world is beautiful and handsome in their own way, and it's really okay to be different because in a world full of Cheerios, it's boring, so why not spice it up by being a fruit loop instead.

3. Practicing self care.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Practicing self care, how do we get there? Self care is essential to preserving your own mental health. When you are feeling down and out about yourself or the negative things in society that may be affecting you, here are some tips to practice self care:

• Remove yourself from negative environments
  • Avoid individuals who causes stress
  • Take breaks from electronics and social media
  • Meditate to strengthen your mind
  • Try painting or drawing to relax your mind
  • Try listening to music / dancing
  • Take a break and go outside to get some fresh air
  • Go on a little shopping spree and treat yourself on occasions
  • Relax to scented candles
  • Try having a discussion with your family and/or friends

4. You don't need anyone else to make you happy.

Many people have been programmed to believe that they need someone in their lives in order for them to be happy, which is not accurate. To be honest, you don't need anyone else, you only need yourself. As my mother always used to say "You have to love yourself first, before you can love someone else," and she's right. Until a person truly understands what it means to make themselves a first priority before searching for a partner then they will struggle with self love. The reason I say this is because if you don't love yourself then how will you know how to love someone else? That is the million dollar question.

5. Knowing your worth.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

The golden rule is "Knowing your worth is key to loving yourself." If a person have confidence in themselves then their self-esteem will be higher. If self-esteem is present then they will not allow other people to treat them in a negative manner. Therefore, they are practicing self care/self love.

I want you to make it your number one priority to find your self love, then go out there in the world and love. One day you will find your soulmate who will cherish you for who you are, and they will love your imperfections as much as they love you. Otherwise, don't settle and certainly don't accept anyone who doesn't respect you because your life is a precious gift and should be treated as such.