Make Our World Kind Again

Make Our World Kind Again

Love each other, be kind to one another and make a difference.

23
Make Our World Kind Again

In recent weeks, I have seen many terrible posts on the internet. People are bashing other people because they have different beliefs than them. In addition to that, I’ve heard stories of families and friends that have quit speaking each other or have gone on a conversational hiatus, if you will, just because their political views don’t match up.

My question is this: Is this really what this world has come to? Are your political views more important than your relationships that you have with other people? Why are you going to let a disagreement tear you apart from your loved ones?

If so, you’re silly. I’ve heard numerous people throughout this election season and, now that the inauguration is over, say that they want America to be better. They want to create a better world and make things better. I’ve thought about this a lot, and while there seems like there are many ways to improve our country and our world, there are two solutions that stand out above all of the rest: love each other and be kind to one another.

It seems simple, yet, but this is the truth. I believe that if we all put our differences aside and remember why we love the people that we do and be kind to strangers, this world and this country would be a better place.

When was the last time that you called your friend out of the blue to see if they wanted to get together and have coffee? When was the last time that you smiled at someone just for the heck of it and you wanted to brighten their day? When was the last time that you went out of your way to help someone other than you, your friends or your family? Can you remember any of those times?

If not, it’s time to make a change. The next time you see someone coming into a building, hold the door open for them. The next time you see someone trying to put their groceries or their purchases in their car, offer to help. It doesn’t take much. One simple action can brighten someone’s day, and that’s the truth.

Think about all of the people that we see throughout the week. How many of those people do you talk to? How many of those people do you bid good day? How many people have you simply smiled at or complimented lately? I’ve been trying this lately, and it has done wonders. The people that I used to see in the elevator or in the hallway just awkwardly staring at their phones are people that I’ve greeted and inquired about their day.

What’s crazy is that they were surprised when I did this! Why? It’s not common anymore. We have gotten so detached from those around us due to the technology that we have and many people are more comfortable just communicating through a screen rather than face-to-face. Are those the types of relationships that you want to have? I don’t think so.

People matter, feelings matter, people’s opinions matter, and, believe it or not, it is entirely possible to disagree with someone and still love them. Yes, I said it. You can disagree with someone’s political views, religious beliefs or lifestyle and still love them. Think about that. It’s time to make a change in our country, people. If you’re worried about the direction that this country is going, don’t just whine about it on social media and cut off your communication with those that have different opinions.

Instead, talk to people, be nice to people, and work together with people. The truth of the matter is that everyone can agree on one goal and that is to make our country and our world the best that it can possibly be. My grandma says that you always catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar, and she’s right. Listen to understand, don’t listen to respond. Work with each other to make not just America but this world kind again. Love each other, be kind to one another and make a difference.