Make Birthdays Great Again

Make Birthdays Great Again

Sometimes people feel weird celebrating their special day and don't like all of the attention they receive. I believe it's time to embrace the big day!

382

Growing up, birthdays seem to be the best days ever. Going to school and having your mom bring the entire class cupcakes and going all out for your themed party seemed like givens. As we became teenagers, parties started to turn into casual dinners and the inevitable photoshoots. But after turning 21, I've heard many people say that the birthdays just go "down-hill." Adults start to look at it as another year closer to death and start getting embarrassed by their age. We absolutely have to break this stigma.

Last year was my nineteenth birthday and I didn't want to just go to dinner. I wanted the cake, decorations, guest list, and party music. Being a freshman in college, many of my friends were at different universities. This didn't stop me. I had friends that drove four hours just for the party! It was a great excuse to catch up, hang out and celebrate. It was a night full of all of my favorite people that I will never forget.

Birthdays are the perfect excuse to tell your friends and family how much they mean to you. Post an Instagram story of your favorite picture of them, give them a call and tell them why you love them, and just make the day about them! As hard as it is for some of you to admit, it feels good when people do it. Birthdays are the one day out of the year when it is acceptable to be all about you.

The next time you find yourself dreading your birthday, remember that every age is important and the "fun birthdays" never run out. I don't care if you're turning 21 or 81, you better celebrate! Just accept the gifts, kind words, and the unusually large amount of attention that the day brings.