Why I'm An English Major

Why I'm An English Major

I explored a variety of disciplines like education and biology, but something kept bringing me back to the English major, and the English major is where I have stayed.

6
Why I'm An English Major
Brad Ward

I am currently a junior at a private liberal arts college. Because I attend a liberal arts college, I have had the opportunity to take multiple courses in a plethora of disciplines, including psychology, music, English, history, and philosophy. I have changed my major at least half a dozen times, but I always go back to one discipline: English.

Growing up, I was an avid reader; I always had my nose in a book. The only time I would get in trouble at school was when I was reading while the teacher was talking. I read everything I could get my hands on, including: Harry Potter, Twilight, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Maximum Ride, and The Fault in Our Stars, just to name a few. I knew that I loved reading, yet I could not make the connection that it would be what I should study in college: literature. It seems like the obvious choice, yet it took me nearly two years to settle on it. I explored a variety of disciplines like education and biology, but something kept bringing me back to the English major, and the English major is where I have stayed.

Since my last declaration of major, I have taken classes in the English department. I have taken English Literature II, American Literature II, and Intro to English Studies. I am currently taking English Literature I, American Literature I, and Professional Writing and I absolutely love my English classes that I am taking. I love analyzing a piece of literature, being exposed to new genres and authors, and being around people who love to read and appreciate literature. I like improving my writing skills and branching out to new topics and genres of writing. This is something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I have chosen the English major because I love reading literature. I love the variety of classes I get to take in the department. My professors are warm and welcoming; they love what they do. It is a wonderful experience to be around people who enjoy being at the college and genuinely want to teach and help their students any way they can. My experience with the English Department is impeccable. My advisor is speedy and gets my classes approved in a timely manner. My professors make the classes interesting, a hard thing to do when the discussion is about metaphors.

I love what I do. My days are never boring and I was even able to secure a part-time job in the department at the college’s writing center. I love that I get the opportunity to help others with their writing and maybe spark the same kind of interest in the English discipline that I have. I have a little less than two years before I graduate, and I hope in that time I will learn about different kinds of literature. By the time I graduate, I will have a deeper love and understanding of literature than I ever thought possible, something that greatly gladdens my heart.