How to Maintain a Long-Distance TV Relationship

The only thing harder than keeping up with your family while away at college, is watching TV with them.

64
Gildshire Magazine

One of the things I often do together with my family is watch TV. I know for most people that sounds a little lacking, but just taking time out of our day and spending an hour or so together doing something we love is very meaningful. We've watched shows together all throughout my high school years, and even during my college breaks. However, this semester, with all the shows we want to watch together, there is just not enough time to watch them--and that's when I'm on break.

This semester, having purchased a TV for my room, Mom and Dad wanted to try something different. Instead of waiting to watch the new season of Stranger Things until Thanksgiving break, we would each watch one episode on our own, discuss over our bi-weekly Skype chat, and then move on to the next one. It was a win-win situation: Everybody could watch at their own pace, and we would still get a chance to talk about it and discuss theories as a family.

At least that's what it seemed like. The first week went off rather well; I watched the first episode of the season when it dropped, so did they, and we discussed it over the Skype call the next day. I went on to watch the next episode Sunday, fully expecting to talk about it with the fam when I saw them Thursday for the fall musical. Broaching the topic as we walked along the darkened quad, I discovered that they hadn't gotten a chance to watch the second episode yet. I nodded my head, stifled my disappointment, and went into the theater to watch German schoolchildren sing about their sexual desires. Spring Awakening is such a fun show.

I probably shouldn't be too hard on my parents. Sheridan's schedule is double crazy this year, with college auditions every week in addition to honors schoolwork and her usual music lessons. Besides, I'm no better, honestly; I have several of Dad's old science-fiction books that I still haven't finished due to my schedule (and bad reading habits). It might be hard, sometimes even frustrating, but I know we can make this long-distance TV relationship work. Dad could find some time to catch up on The Tick, I could finish watching the second season of Mr. Robot, and maybe one night, we can both sit on the couch together and watch Agents of Shield. And if I'm lucky, it can be in the same room.