How To Maintain Long Distance Friendships In College

Don't let the miles come between you.

143
Tumblr

When deciding what college I wanted to attend, I knew I wanted to go out of state. I really had no ties to stay in my hometown except my best friends. I wanted to leave, but I wasn't ready to leave them. However, I personally am the type of friend who will continue to make an effort in a friendship if the same effort is being put forth by them. So when leaving my friends I didn't sugar coat it by telling them we'll be friends forever no matter the distance between us. I told them in order for us to continue to be friends we both have to put in the work. That being said, 2 months in I've definitely lost touch with some, but maintained my relationship with most.

1. Let Them Know You Care

The key to keeping old friends is simply letting them know you care. Don't go off to college and forget about your peeps back home. You're of course going to make new friends, but remember who was there for you before you even knew your new friends.

2. Keep In Touch

Text them daily. It really does not take that much to send a little message simply asking "how there day was" or "what they're doing" or just "I'm thinking of you." Set up a weekly or biweekly FaceTime or Skype date. It's good to actually see their faces.

3. Send Them Links

If you see a tweet or post that reminds you of them, then send it their way. It shows you're thinking of them.

4. Write Physical Letters

I know it's 2016 and we are in the age of technology, but physical handwritten letters are so much more meaningful then typed out email full of errors.

5. Send Care Packages

Even though you're both broke college students, think about sending your long distance bff a nice little care package for their birthday or other holidays. Nothing too expensive, just some chap stick, or their favorite candy bar to show them your love.

6. Comment On Their Pictures

If your friends post a picture on IG, comment on that pic something shady or an inside joke to let them and their new friends know you'll always be the fav.

7. Pray For Each Other

You and your friends are both going through a lot of trying times in college. Faith is necessary. Pray for them and pray for God to strengthen your friendship.

8. Stay Up To Date On Their Life

Make sure you know when your friends have significant events coming up. Give them words of wisdom and continue to show that you care.

9. Visit Them When You're Back Home

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2F01%2F636109628220135726358524078_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=100&h=a71bb5a9ec70d38331368262ba9e885284dd7695745f39c8454410bb9a2fe7a1&size=980x&c=61228322 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F10%252F01%252F636109628220135726358524078_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D100%26h%3Da71bb5a9ec70d38331368262ba9e885284dd7695745f39c8454410bb9a2fe7a1%26size%3D980x%26c%3D61228322%22%7D" expand=1]

When you're back in town you better be freeing your schedule to see your homies. Hang out as much as you can and make the most of the little time you do have together.

10. Make Time

I can't preach it anymore. You make time for the people you love. Put in the effort you want to receive.

Overall, you can't expect to keep a friendship without putting in work. Especially one that involves long distance. Show your friends you care. Call them, text them, love them, make time, and you'll be good.