Be The Change

Be The Change

A perspective on privilege and giving back to the world.

26
Be The Change
Pravsworld

When I was a little girl, my librarian in elementary school introduced me to a quote that has resonated with me to this day. The famous saying of Mahatma Gandhi, "Be the change that you wish to see in the world", was imprinted in me when I was just eight years old.

We have all experienced struggle or known someone who is struggling. When I say struggling, I mean all kinds of struggles. Whether it may be about family, academics, or social life, we all try and learn to cope. Growing up, I've been exposed to many different cultures, events, and walks of life. But the one thing that struck me the most is having privilege.

Privilege, in my eyes, is having the advantage to certain rights amongst a group of people. This definition isn't set in stone, but the best way to explain what is having privilege is through examples I've seen in my life.

Going back to what Gandhi said, I was inspired to fulfill and promote change for the better. How will I do this? I don't exactly know. But I know everything starts with a small step.

You, reading this article right now, is one step. I'm here to let you know the impact of having privilege amongst a place where privilege is rare. When Gandhi's words struck me, I had no idea until now that they had resonated with me through all these years. I was still a child then.

We all have scrolled through our Facebook News Feed and liked a post along the lines of a cancer survivor or a religious prayer. Do our likes make a difference? No. Does change occur when a person battling cancer receives 100k likes? No.

I know I am guilty of this, but I have accepted my faults. What can we actually do to "be the change we wish to see in this world"?

I am still struggling to find an answer to that question, but everything starts with a small step.

First, find your interest in what problem you want to help solve. It can be along the lines of helping cancer patients by donating your hair. It can also be volunteering a couple of hours on a Saturday morning at your local orphanage. The possibilities are endless. You just need to start somewhere.

Second, realize and educate peers around you about privilege. I recently read a striking article about the harsh realities occurring in the world right now.

Lina Eid's article has inspired me to write about privilege and giving back. You see the chain that's starting from just voicing your opinions? That's a small step right there.

Now back to privilege. If I hadn't moved countries and schools, I wouldn't have had this realization. I am a very privileged person. And so are you. If you are reading this right now, you are most likely on your phone, laptop or tablet. That's a piece of device that not everyone is able to have and afford.

Take a step back. Not literally but in your mind. Think about where you were born and how you were brought up. Did you have two loving parents who cared for you? Yes, it may differ on what loving parents mean to you. But at least you had a support system.

The majority of the children today have no parents to look after them. I can't imagine my life without my mom and dad. It's just heartbreaking. This is one sign of having privilege.

I can keep listing a whole lot of signs of what having privilege is like. But what irritates me the most are people's complaints. I can discuss how internet and phone dependent we all are, but I find myself in that category as well.

The most irritating thing I also find myself doing is complaining. At least, I realized what I'm complaining about isn't a huge problem. I've heard a compilation of complaints that don't really matter a whole lot once you start looking at life as a big picture.

There are people starving; you complain about having Brussel sprouts for dinner.

There are people who want an education but can't go to school. You complain about your 8 a.m. Monday class.

There are people who live in a tiny feeble home that manage to have a smile upon their faces. You complain about not having a bigger room to fit all your belongings.

This is what privilege looks like and almost all of us are in this category. We need to realize how fortunate and lucky we are. I hope at least one person comes to a realization and spreads the message around.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi