Why I Made The Switch To A Community College

How community college helped make my future brighter.

17
wikipedia

Nowadays there are many choices when it comes to choosing a college to attend. A large university? How about a small private school? For me the choice didn't come easy and in fact took some trial and error.

The summer after graduating from high school I left my home in Maui, Hawaii to go to a small private school in Chestertown, Maryland. The culture shock was intense but I soon made some great friends and found my college family. The first of couple months in my new setting were really hard. I was home sick, adjusting to a new environment and missing my friends. Fortunately, my school was only 45 minutes away from where my mother's whole side of the family lives and I was able to spend some weekends and holidays with them which I was so grateful for!

Half way through my freshman school year I started to realize that maybe this wasn't the school for me. I wasn't doing great in my classes, I was beginning to seclude myself from my friends and was spending most of my time sleeping my days away or watching Netflix in my dorm room. This brought me so much stress because I knew I wasn't happy there, but I felt like if I didn't come back I would not only be letting myself down but also my family. As the year went on I became more and more home sick and depressed.

After my freshman year I came home and although I should have been happy to finally be home I was just so upset with myself because in my heart I knew I wasn't going back to Maryland for my sophomore year. I eventually withdrew from the fall semester and applied to my local community college. I felt like I had failed, like I was letting everyone down and ruining my future. It took me a very long time to understand that it wasn't my fault that it didn't work out at my first school, it just wasn't the right fit for me.

It has been over a year since my freshman year in Maryland and I am currently attending my local community college. It has been one the best experiences for me and looking back now I feel that this was one of the wisest decisions I could have made. Because I am attending my local college, I can live at home, work, and still attend school. I am thriving in all of my classes and feel like I am getting a better education then I was in Maryland; not necessarily because either of the schools are better than the other, but because I am happier and more inspired to learn. I am also saving much more money on tuition which will help me be able to move on to bigger adventures in the future.

I am anticipating earning my associates degree in business by the end of the 2017 spring semester and I couldn't be more proud of myself. There was a time when I felt like giving up on my education but community college helped my preserver. I have been able to get my education in the comfort of my home city and save money while doing it.

After earning my degree I plan on moving to the west coast to attend a school in cosmetology. This has become a dream I never would have gone after if I had stayed in Maryland. Its amazing to finally have direction in my life that I have found through maturing in my familiar environment. Now I am ready to take on the world!

Everyone is different and although community college may not be for everyone it was definitely the best choice for me. It took me a year of trying the "classic college" experience to learn this about myself and I would never take back that year away from home. In many ways it helped me grow and learn more about who I am. That is something I will always be grateful for.