If You Made Her Happy Once

If You Made Her Happy Once

She doesn't know how to let go.

752
If You Made Her Happy Once
Mary Day

If you made her happy once, she doesn’t know how to let go. You know the story If You Give a Mouse a Cookie about the mouse who asks for a cookie then continues and continues asking for more things and just can’t make it stop. As a girl, I admit, our brains work like that sometimes when it comes to love. I’m not saying we just want to take and take and take, that’s not the analogy here. I’m saying we love falling in love.

We love being spoiled, having that best friend around that makes us feel all warm and fuzzy, going on cute dates. All of those things are our cookie, but unlike the mouse, that’s honestly enough to make and keep us happy. We don’t constantly ask for more, just that we consistently feel loved and wanted.

Once you give us our cookie, we become attached. All we could ever want is an endless supply of those cookies. Which is why I say, If you give a girl a cookie, aka if you made her happy once, she doesn’t know to let go.

Often in young love, relationships start to fizzle, or maybe even spiral out of control. One day everything is picture perfect, and then one day a while down the road you’re hardly talking, or you’re constantly fighting. We girls tend to become really insecure and unsure when things aren’t going the way our divine instincts are telling us they should.

We tend to see all the red flags and warning signs and nudges telling us to walk away, but so often we don’t. Sometimes it even feels like we can’t. Because if you made her happy once, she doesn’t know how to let go.

What’s one of the worst things you can do after a break up that hasn’t healed yet? Look at all of the great pictures of the two of you from the great memories you made. What’s the first thing I always do? Look at all of the great pictures of the great memories made. Why? Because it’s nice to know the entire relationship didn’t hurt as much as the current moment of the break up does.

What good does that do? Absolutely nothing because then I only miss how happy I used to be and think of a million different reasons why I should tell that boy I still love him and make things work. Because if you made her happy once, she doesn’t know how to let go.

She knows when she should. She knows that the relationship isn’t working and you’re both too young to be spending all your time trying to fix something that’s just broken. She knows that walking away, even if just long enough to allow for a fresh start another day, would be for the best. But she also knows that the two of you were once genuinely happy.

She knows how much she loved driving around, playing with your hair while you sang oh so off key extremely loudly. She knows how much she loved being there for all the big moments- like the birthdays and the dances. She knows how much she loved feeling needed. She knows how much she loved watching sappy movies and being told she looked pretty while she wasn’t feeling well and hadn’t put makeup on.

She knows how much she loved playing games and becoming overly competitive in trying to beat you. She knows how much she hates the thought of losing all of those things, even though she really knows she already has. Because if you made her happy once, she doesn’t know how to let go.

But like I said she knows when she should. She knows that she needs to. Because if you know you aren't happy anymore, you know it's time to let go. You'll just have to learn to how to.