Lyricist's Block

Lyricist's Block

The P.O.V. of a musician who cannot write lyrics.

14
Lyricist's Block

For anyone that knows me, music has been a huge influence in my life. It is in my blood, my skin, my head, and in my heart.

Now am I talking about the college-aged girl who listens to the radio just to hear the now-attractive Justin Bieber sing about his girl problems? Absolutely not.

I have been involved with various choirs/bands and musical theater. It was the best in high school because we were a close-knit family and everyone was intertwined in that entire world. If you were not a part of this world, you have definitely missed out on something remarkable. These are the only people that you can just randomly start singing and will match with perfect harmonies.

I give a huge shout out to all of my friends that have sung with me for hours on end instead of going shopping at the mall (especially the ones who jam out to Broadway tunes with me). You are all the real MVP's.

I have conquered many auditions in my twenty years. How can anyone ever forget eating endless packets of honey? After auditions, hours followed with questions, like "what could I have done better?" or "should I have tried out for a higher range, like a normal female?"

Only until I came to college did I take my first official voice lesson. I cannot begin to explain how much my professor has helped my vocal performance voice grow. Not to mention that she was a former student of my high school band director. One can say that he taught her well because now she is singing in various operas in NYC.

As an Alto II at heart and soul, I was now singing waaaaaayyyyy up in the Soprano range in Mozart arias and the ending of "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera. Crazy, right?!

I know, I am shocked as well.

So many people come up to me after a performance and say "Wow! You sing so effortlessly." Let me tell you a secret: it is quite the opposite. I have to spend many hours each week practicing for vocal performance and as much as I do love it, it requires an enormous amount of effort. That's why I love it so much. It requires passion and a certain physical strength that someone is born with.

On the flip side: I cannot write lyrics or write my own songs.

Have I attempted? Of course I have. Have I failed miserably? Of course I have. Have I made a fool out of myself trying to play the guitar? Of course I have.

We cannot be great at anything. That's just life.

It is a gift that I wish that I had. It is ironic because I have a passion for writing; just not in lyric form. I have a few friends and many musical inspirations that truly have that gift. You have no idea what I would do to possess those talents.

One of my friends, B.F., has pure talent. When I first heard him sing his original songs, I was in awe. How can anyone with that kind of talent complain about life? I will never understand.

Some people think that you have to go through a heartbreak to come up with an amazing song. Well, that's not how that works in the real world. Songs don't just drop out of the sky like meatballs fall from the clouds. You have to have the talent for it. I have never been able to write my emotions. They are all jumbled up inside of me just waiting for someone to help me to get them out. This is what I call a lyricist's block.

When I find out the secret to writing lyrics, I will let you know. Until I do, I need someone to tell me the secret because I am officially blocked.