Why Luke P. from The Bachelorette Needs to Go

If you watch the Bachelorette you already know some of the drama that has gone down already, and the season is only three episodes in (although by the time this is published I'm sure there will be plenty more drama). I personally wasn't that thrilled about Hannah Brown being the next Bachelorette, but she has really grown on me a lot throughout the season. She is not afraid to say what she feels and be a little weird, which I think is super important.

So far, the majority of the men that remain on the show seem like pretty decent guys. However, I have a lot of issues with one of the contestants in particular, as I am sure much of Bachelor Nation does: Luke P. Luke made a great first impression on Hannah, and she clearly liked him from the beginning. I have no issues with this, people have instant connections with each other all the time - this is nothing crazy. What I do have a problem with, however, is the sheer amount of red flags that Luke P started exhibiting almost immediately.

On the very first group date, the men were supposed to put on a fashion/talent show for Hannah and a panel of drag queens. The talent portion was meant to be funny, and a way for the men to showcase certain talents they may possess (a.k.a Jed with his adorable song and guitar). When it was Luke P's turn, he stood up and the microphone and immediately began to say that he was "falling in love" with Hannah … on the first date. First of all, that is not a talent. Second, that is a huge red flag. He hardly knows her and it is super weird for him to say that after spending maybe a few hours total with the girl that he's already falling in love with her. That is manipulative to say something so loaded to someone that you barely know in order to get them to think you have a stronger connection or to get your 15 minutes of fame on a television show or whatever.

On the next episode, Luke P was invited to another group date, where the men had to pose with different animals for a photoshoot. When Luke saw Hannah kissing one of the other contestants for a photo, he got upset and tried to butt in and one-up that photo, by having Hannah stand on his back while he did a push-up. Yikes, not a good look, Luke P. He then wanted to talk to Hannah more, but she had to go to her dressing room, and he said "Well I can walk you to the dressing room." She seemed uncomfortable with this, and even remarked in her individual interview that he was beginning to turn her off with his clinginess and his need to showboat their relationship to the other guys. This jealous behavior is red flag number two. It is completely out of place to act so possessive over a person. At one point during Connors one-on-one date, Luke P told the other guys in the house that "If she told me to leave, I'd say 'nah, it's alright, I'll just cuddle in bed with you. We don't even have to talk.'" Statements like this may seem endearing on the surface, but when you really get down to it, it is creepy, possessive behavior. It is someone addressing the fact that they don't listen to consent.

On the second half of the group date, Hannah immediately pulled Luke P and addressed him about his behavior, telling him that he needs to cool it because it's bothering her. He seemed confused, and then went back to tell the other guys that he didn't understand what she was upset with him about, and that if she doesn't talk to him again for the night he is going to leave the show. He also stated that he wasn't in love with her, which negates what he had said the week prior. Extremist behavior like that is another red flag. When Pilot Peter was waiting for a chance to speak with Hannah, Luke P got aggressive and was saying that he hadn't even spoken to her yet, and tried to stop Peter from getting time with Hannah. Again, super possessive.

Luke: you knew what the process was when you signed up for the show. You knew she would be dating 20 other men at the same time as you. It is extremely creepy and problematic to be acting so possessive and jealous over someone. While I know that the show is already done filming, Hannah has made her decisions, and I can't do anything about it, I would just like to put it out there that the big issue I think is that these behaviors often become so normalized. People are either unwilling or unable to see the red flags in their own personal relationships, which is so dangerous. If you, or someone you know is in a relationship with someone that exhibits red flags like this, know that there is help and there are people you can talk to about it. Stay safe, and pay attention to things like this.