Luke Danes Gilmore Girls
Dating

7 Reasons Every Girl Needs Their Own Luke Danes In Her Life

We all need someone to pour our coffee and to tell us when we're being ridiculous.

668

Luke Danes. The guy who Lorelai needs, the guy who was a stand-in father to Rory, the guy who pours the coffee, but also the guy every fan of Gilmore Girls was rooting for from the start. Not only is he perfect for her, but he's the guy we all need in our lives.

1. He's rough around the edges

Yes, he seems like a grump all the time, but his rugged personality is the realness we all need. He's not going to tell you everything is going to be all right when he's not sure it will be. He's not going to tell you something is fine when it's not. He's going to tell you what's going on and he might come off as rude and unfriendly, but he's not trying to be - he's just honest and real.

2. He's always there when you need him

Both times Richard landed in the hospital, he was there for Lorelai and Rory. Even when Lorelai was married to Christopher, he saw his friend in need and he was there, whether it was to just drop off food or to drive them around or to help run errands. He never let his pride get in the way of being there for the people he cared about and if that doesn't tell you that's he's a stand-up guy, then nothing else will.

3. Fashion doesn't mean much, especially when it comes to him

Okay, so everyone likes a guy that can clean up nicely - and Luke can, but only for the most special occasions. That's what makes it so special! When you think laid back and casual, you think Luke Danes. When you think flannel and a baseball cap, he's your guy, and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that. Who needs a guy that spends so much time on their looks when you can have a guy who looks hot in everyday clothes. Besides, it's only a bonus when he does clean up.

4. He's able to admit when he's wrong

He might be angry in the moment and he might not always do it right away, but he does know when to admit he was wrong. He fights with Lorelai over Jess, but eventually admits that he overreacted and needs help. Even after his heart gets broken and Lorelai sleeps with Christopher, he still apologizes for not putting her first when they were together. He's not afraid to apologize to make up with the people who matter to him, and that's pretty amazing.

5. He always tries to do the right thing

When he found out he had a daughter, he did everything to make it right. He wanted to get to know her, provide for her, and be there for her, as well as become the father he never thought he would be to anyone. He took Jess in when his sister couldn't take care of him and he tried his best to give Jess structure and the best life he could, without ever knowing how to be a parent previously. Even when he was hurt or getting the short end of the stick, he still always tried to do the right thing, regardless of how much it hurt him.

6. He puts everyone else first

Without spoiling it for those who haven't watched, two words: series finale. Throughout the entire series, he goes out of his way to help everyone else around him before helping himself. He fixes things around Lorelai's house constantly, even when he should be running his own diner. He lets her borrow his truck so they can move Rory into Yale. He drives Zack to the hospital when Lane has her babies. He literally will drop everything when someone needs something and that's pretty darn awesome.

7. He's not afraid to stand up for himself or the people he cares about

All of his epic fights with Taylor - enough said! He's not going to fall into the routine that everyone else gets sucked into and he's not going to let people get away with things. He will speak his mind and stand up for himself or anyone he cares about so they aren't being taken advantage of. He literally will tell you that you're being ridiculous or stupid - and we all sometimes need that.

Luke Danes seems like a grump. He seems like he's the Oscar the Grouch of Stars Hollow, but honestly, there's no one else they'd rather get their coffee or breakfast from and we all need that stability in our lives.