Lucky Seven: Tips and Tricks for Writing

Whether you're breezing through paragraphs or stuck on the first sentence, these will help move you along!

15
Unsplash
"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter - and bleed."
-Ernest Hemingway

For many, writing is more than a hobby. Writing is a way to sort thoughts, relieve stress, go on wild adventures and allow others to journey with you. It's more than just whipping up an essay the night before it's due. It's our art form. Some days, it's easier than others. You can sit and world build without a hitch, or get 1,500 words as easily as a fish can swim through the ocean. It just feels natural. Other days, you feel like you want to slam your head into your keyboard for an hour or two and hope for the best. Regardless of what kind of day it is for you, I have some tips and tricks that help move along my writing without fail. Hopefully, they'll do the same for you!

1. Always have a notebook and pen.

You never know when you that one scene transition you just couldn't get quite right is going to sort itself out in your brain. Or maybe that one line you needed for a character to just completely blow an argument right out the water is going to finally surface. You may think it's so good that you will indeed be able to remember it until later, but I can promise you that you will indeed forget it. Always have some sort of notebook to jot down your strokes of genius!

2. Make lists.

Make lists of lists. This is my personal trick. I have a notebook strictly of lists. Lists of things I like, things I hate, setting descriptions, words I like, character traits, I mean this one list could go on and. I come back to all of these ideas later when I'm in need of some scenery suggestions or actions, or any kind of inspirations, really. Making lists can be so quick and easy and they can really help you out in the long run.

3. Read.

The more you read, the better writer you become all around. It's the best way to widen your vocabulary. It also opens you to different voices, tones, themes, and other inspirations. All the best works mimic works that have come before them. Reading will always be the best way to help hone your skills. (I mean, you are reading this; a list of ways to be a better writer, right?)

4. Ask questions.

Asking questions is the best way to world build and to create your characters. Ask what your protagonists morning routine is. Ask what their favorite things are. Take inspiration from everywhere. Was your barista rude when you ordered your coffee this morning? Come up with reasons why and it could just spark your next idea. Always be curious.

5. Get descriptive.

Now I don't mean get so descriptive that you spend your first FIVE CHAPTERS giving us the backstory of a fairly minor character (I'm looking at you Victor Hugo.) But go through and describe the way a character looks or the design of their bedroom. You don't always have to use these pieces in your final draft, but they help you get a good understanding of your character and your setting and it keeps you writing.

6. Don't tell, show.

Try to avoid words like feel or felt. This means you're telling the reader what's happening rather showing them. It can tend to make the reader feel as though they are outside of the story rather a part of it.

Example:
She felt like she was going to die.

Try:
The air was leaving her lungs and the world was growing darker.

7. WRITE.

Yes, I know, it's so obvious. But it's true. You can only plan out so much in your head before it's time to write it out on paper. See where your characters take you. Flesh out that plot line you're thinking about. You can't better until you actually start, so start!