Five Must-See LU Events For Freshmen

Five Must-See LU Events For Freshmen

What exactly is there to do on campus, anyway?

16
Five Must-See LU Events For Freshmen
Liberty University

Can you believe it? There's only a month and a half until Liberty welcomes the Class of 2020 to campus! Of course, they may not be looking forward to their classes, and homework can only take up so much time. With "partying"—you know what I mean—banned both on and off campus, what is there to replace that? Liberty has plenty of activities and events to take care of that! While some events are impromptu, such as last school year's "Duck Dynasty" finale watch party in the Vines Center with John Luke and Mary Kate Robertson, many events are planned months in advance. Many of these events are must-see LU traditions! So, without further ado, here's five of Liberty's must-watch events for the incoming freshman!

Convocation

Convocation is a definitely a must-see event! No, I'm not kidding. You get fined if you don't see it. Anyway, we do actually get some pretty great guests most of the time. We've seen Tim Hawkins, Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Francis Chan, Jesus Culture, Brian Kilmeade (from "Fox and Friends"), Matt Maher, Phil Wickham, and Jefferson Bethke (from the video "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus), and those were all in just the past year. Why would you want to miss it?

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, unless otherwise noted.

Campus Community

Campus Community, Liberty's Wednesday night service, is not just a regular church service. It's tailored toward us as students and teenagers. The meeting actually outgrew its original meeting place, TRBC, which seats 6,000 or so people. We now meet in the Vines Center. David Nasser, our main Campus Pastor and a convert from Islam, teaches us what God's Word says about different subjects. For example, last semester, we learned about the fruits of the Spirit. Maybe we'll finish Galatians by the time you freshmen graduate. It's always a possibility... right?

Every Wednesday night, unless otherwise noted.

Movie Night

Every month, LU's Student Activities hosts a movie night. It can be anything from a documentary to the latest Marvel movie to a Hunger Games marathon! Most movie nights are outdoors, weather-permitting, but some of them are held in the LaHaye Event Space on North Campus.

Monthly on the Vines Center Lawn or in the LaHaye Event Space.

Flames Football

By far one of the best experiences on campus happens every couple of weeks in the fall—football season! When you go to an LU football game—especially against Coastal Carolina—plan on staying the entire time, no matter how late it gets. And you know how they call the things we're supposed to sit on "stands"? We take that name literally. Don't plan on sitting unless it's during a timeout or halftime. The rest of the time, we stand and make lots and lots of noise! It is by far one of the best experiences I have ever had on campus! The experience is only beaten by one thing.

Saturday afternoons. See schedule.

Coffeehouse

By far the biggest thing on campus is the semi-annual Coffeehouse, where Liberty students get to show off their musical talents to the rest of the campus. If I had to choose between Flames football and Coffeehouse, Coffeehouse would win every single time, hands down! (Just so you freshmen know, there are two Coffeehouses, one in the winter and one in the spring.) Here's a playlist of many of the Coffeehouse performances and videos from last semester. That is just a taste of what it's like. Imagine thousands of excited teenagers in one room enjoying a concert at 1 in the morning. That's exactly what it's like. It's that kind of fun that you can only have when you're very, very tired.

Semi-annually at the end of the semester.

Those are just five of the exciting events LU has coming up this semester. There are, of course, smaller events such as "free cotton candy" and the like, but they are usually unannounced. Of course, with the new DeMoss Student Center opening this fall, who knows what they have planned for that?

Which events are your favorites? Which ones are you looking forward to? Let me know in the comments!

Oh, and as one last treat, LU dropped this on their Facebook page a few days ago!