LSU CHAARG

LSU CHAARG

What it is and why you should join.

147
LSU CHAARG

Last week, my roommate convinced me to attend the CHAARG fitness session for the semester, which was open to all prospective members. The workout of the week was yoga, hosted by Yoga Vibe Baton Rouge. While I am certainly not someone who spends much time in the gym, this yoga session left me feeling healthier, relaxed, and even empowered. 

The CHAARG executive team did a wonderful job of making the event productive and fun at the same time. All of the girls who attended the session left talking about how excited they were for the next. After the event, I decided to interview Nely Ward, the Treasurer of the Baton Rouge CHAARG group, on why girls should join CHAARG’s movement. Here is what she had to say.

What exactly is CHAARG, and why is it something LSU girls should join?

Nely: CHAARG stands for Changing Health, Attitudes and Actions To Recreate Girls. Elisabeth Tavierne founded the program in 2012 at Ohio State University. Her goal was to ignite a passion for college girls to lead healthier lifestyles. The motto of CHAARG is “liberating girls from the elliptical,” and the program is set up in a way that allows girls to find their fitness preference. It is currently at 14 universities, and LSU is currently the only school in the South that offers the program.

How much is membership?

Nely: Membership is only $45 for the entire semester.

What does one gain with membership?

Nely: With membership, a girl gets one group workout each week hosted by different fitness instructors around Baton Rouge, and every other Wednesday there is a cooking demonstration and guest dietician speaker. There are also seven small groups, and with membership a girl is placed into a small group that is led by one of the different executive team members. The small groups meet weekly and the girls in the group form genuine bonds.

Can you give me an example of some workouts CHAARG held last semester?

Nely: Last semester we offered Yogalates, UFC kickboxing, CrossFit, POUND, and several other workouts. This semester we have new additions such as Pure Barre, Krav Maga, Acroyoga, and Tread BR.

As a small group leader, what are some things you have performed with in your small group?

Nely: Each small group sets a group goal at the beginning of each semester, and this goal can range from running a 5K to just getting better in the weight room. Last semester, my small group attended a spin class, a yoga class, and I even cooked them a healthy breakfast for one session!

Right now there is a huge trend in healthy eating and fitness, and it has been criticized that girls are taking their health obsession to the extreme, which has been seen to lead to eating disorders and general body image anxiety. I know CHAARG does not promote this kind of obsession; what are your thoughts on balancing the college lifestyle with a healthy lifestyle?

Nely: I would say everything in moderation. The other day I had waffles, but I didn’t beat myself up about it. I just added an extra mile to my run the next day. I don’t recommend eating waffles every day, but I do think you are allowed to treat yourself every now and then. Also, CHAARG does not promote unhealthy fitness obsessions. We are a beginner level friendly, non-intimidating group, and we encourage girls to work at their own pace.

Thank you so much Nely for your time! Any last words on CHAARG ?

Nely: It is never too late to join! We want every girl to feel they can get involved.