Loving Yourself Will Save Your Soul

Loving Yourself Will Save Your Soul

It's not selfish to love yourself.

65

We have all seen the cliché self-love posters and banners.

But maybe you should look beyond the cheesy saying and try to take them to heart.

We live in a society where it is a lot easier to worry about other people and what they are doing, what they are wearing and how they are doing. I sat on my phone for an hour yesterday just scrolling through social media when it dawned on me how bad that was. Not only was I avoiding what I should be doing by scrolling through social media, but it wasn't helping me be a better person.

A million likes will never be enough if you don't first like yourself.

It is easy to sit there in class and pin endless inspirational quotes on Pinterest, but maybe it is time we start living them out. Again, this is easier said than being done, but mindfulness is such a mainstream thing now when it comes to being less stressed and that doesn't always require yoga every day or sitting down and coloring for hours. It means being mindful of who you already are and what you are doing.

Be the person you want to be friends with.

We always get told to be kind, treat others with respect, and love one another. The same people should also make sure to tell you that you have to be kind to yourself, to respect yourself, and to love yourself. You will forever drain yourself and not accomplish all you have the ability to in life if you do not understand the importance of taking care of yourself. You should do this because you want to be the best person you can possibly be, not just when you are so burnt out you have no choice but to take care of yourself.

If you can grasp the importance of loving yourself and learn to truly live it out, everything else will fall into place.