Why Would A Loving God Send Anyone To Hell?

"If you don't choose God, you choose the enemy."

1192
Haiku Deck

Every Christian knows that God is good and loving and caring. We know this because we know Him. From a non-believer's point of view, it may be difficult to understand that if God is as good as He is, why He would send people to hell.

The first thing to understand is that God doesn't want anyone to go to Hell. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. " (2 Peter 3:9 NIV)

The second thing to understand is that God gave us free will. Since we have free will, we have the right to choose between God and Satan. God has made this pretty fair, actually. Essentially, He said, choose me and I will give you eternal life and everlasting love, but if you don't choose me, you won't get that. That's pretty black and white: pick me or don't pick me; here are the consequences for both of those choices.

Therefore, God doesn't send us to Hell. That's your decision. Ultimately when you don't choose Jesus, you choose Satan, whether or not that's something you publicly proclaim. Choosing Satan is not the same thing as worshiping him. You send yourself to hell by not accepting and having a relationship with Christ, God's son and our savior. If you don't choose God, you choose the enemy.

When you choose God, you choose the authority over Satan and his demons. If you don't have authority through the blood of Jesus Christ, you leave the door open for Satan to take you. "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8 NIV)

Jesus is basically Satan repellant. Like bug spray. When you spray yourself with mosquito repellant, the little pests can't get you. The repellent keeps them away.

Going back to what I mentioned before, "Ultimately when you don't choose Jesus, you choose Satan, whether or not that's something you publicly proclaim. Choosing Satan is not the same thing as worshiping him."

When you don't wear bug spray, does that mean you are asking mosquitos to swarm you? Of course not. Nobody likes that. However, if you're not wearing repellant, they will come after you and there will be nothing to ward them off. Thus, if you don't have Jesus, you don't have repellant to keep demons from taking you under.

Not choosing God is how Satan gets in and that's how you get sent to hell -- not by the desires of God, but by your own decision to go without repellant.