Healthcare Isn't Just A Job To Me, It's A Passion For Serving Others
Friendships

I am proud to be making small differences in these individuals' lives, even if it is just by giving them a smile as I walk by.

508
Alyssa Bailey

When I say I love my job, I truly mean it. I have always known that I wanted to work in the healthcare field, ever since I was a little girl.

In the first grade, a wanted to be a dentist. In high school, I wanted to be a speech language pathologist. In college, I've changed from communication disorders to exercise science to health science with a concentration in pre-physician's assistant. And now, I am a healthcare administration major.

I could not be happier about my final major change because I know it is exactly where I need to be. I have always had a passion for serving others, and healthcare allows me to do just that.

When I say that I love healthcare, I specifically mean long-term care. And when I say long-term care, I mean assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing facilities. Working with the 55 and older population is one of the most rewarding things that I could ever be a part of.

While working in long-term care, I have gotten to know some pretty neat individuals. You get to know residents' life stories, and they become your best friends.

You get to meet people who have lived through many different decades and hear some pretty fun stories. You also meet people who have done some of the craziest jobs you've ever heard about. Then, you get to meet people who are 100+ years old, which is pretty dang cool. And you get to meet some of the people who make coming to work every day SO worth it.

Caring for this population truly changes a person's heart. Serving them becomes your passion, and work doesn't seem like work. It makes you aware of how life goes by so quickly and how important it is to pay attention to people's needs.

The stereotypes for long-term care are very negative. Caring for the elderly is incredibly uplifting. These people need assistance because they have lost their capability to be able to do what they used to, and you get the privilege of helping them. They are humans, too.

Talking to them isn't scary. It's just like talking to your friend — asking them how their day is going, asking them about their childhood, or even asking them if they remember a certain event and talking about a memory from it.

You never know how their life stories could relate to you or how they could impact you. I encourage you to volunteer at an assisted living or skilled nursing facility sometime, whether it is to call bingo or to paint the ladies' nails. They always appreciate being acknowledged, just like anyone would!

I am proud to be making small differences in these individuals' lives, even if it is just by giving them a smile as I walk by. My tasks may change every day, and life can sometimes get crazy, but I know this is exactly where I am meant to be.

Working with the elderly is such a rewarding experience that words cannot fully express. It isn't just work. It's a passion and a privilege. So, I encourage you to go volunteer to work with the elderly sometime. It may just become one of your passions, too.

Colossians 3:17 tells us,

"Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Find your passion. Love it and do it in excellence. It's so rewarding.