31 Answers To "What Is Love?"

31 Answers To "What Is Love?"

Love is so many things, encapsulated in one word.

425
31 Answers To "What Is Love?"
Shani Goloskov

It's that time of year where being a little romantic, mushy and cheesy about your significant other, or SO, is socially acceptable thanks to Valentine's Day. Truth be told, I never really cared about V-Day, and while I still don't totally buy into it, I don't mind getting into the romantic spirit.

I've been with my boyfriend for two and a half years. I never really got what love was, or the multitude of things that are attached to the feeling of love, until I began dating him. (Cue my family and friends calling me sappy.) I've learned over time that love is more than a feeling; it's also actions, other emotions, and experiences. The following list is just some of many things that love encompasses for me.

Love is...

1. Stealing food from their plate, even when you have your own

2. Letting your SO finish your food because your eyes turned out bigger than your stomach

3. Watching your SO get excited over something they care about and getting excited for them

4. Dancing together like no one is watching

5. Getting excited over the same things

6. Feeling happy when your SO is happy

7. Introducing each other to new things or interests that you’d otherwise not be into

8. Having serious discussions on various topics

9. The feeling of wholeness that your SO gives you, even if you never felt like a part of you was missing

10. Waking up before your SO and feeling a surge of emotion at the peaceful look on their sleeping face

11. Going on casual dates more often than fancy ones, and enjoying them so much more

12. Simply enjoying one another’s company

13. Spending all day watching YouTube or Netflix because you're both unapologetically lazy

14. Watching your SO kill it at the things they do best and feeling proud AF

15. Paying attention to what they like (and getting them gifts based on that)

16. The feeling of safety and “home” you get from your SO

17. Long hugs that make the world go away

18. Coming to your SO when you’re having a bad day, knowing they'll make you feel better

19. Feeling proud of their accomplishments as if they were your own

20. Learning each other's likes and dislikes

21. Planning trips for “one day,” even if they might never happen

22. Watching your family happily envelop your SO into the fold

23. Saying “I love you” in more ways than just those three words

24. Talking about your future together like it’s guaranteed

25. All the shared experiences, both good and bad

26. Going on trips together

27. Fighting over both dumb and serious things

28. Being your weird, crazy, true self in front of them and never judging/feeling judged

29. Stealing your SO’s clothing and wearing them because they're basically yours

30. Your SO seeing you at your worst, but staying anyways

31. Always having someone to talk and gossip with

32. All the many, many memories you've created together